Article: Truly understanding Solunar Tables

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Article: Truly understanding Solunar Tables

Post by tallykenj »

The Back Porch
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Re: Article: Truly understanding Solunar Tables

Post by Rainman »

If you haven't been following the feed times, start now. I started a few years ago and I am completely sold. I have an app on my phone that takes all the work out of it, called Time2Fish, and I keep up with the daily, I also have a widget that sits on my homescreen that shows the moon phase and continuously updates, its a cool widget called MoonWidget. Lastly, get a smart phone with google maps, I literally drive the boat around and can see the rocks in the rock garden on the phone.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Are you sure it's Time2Fish? I couldn't find that app on my Iphone.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

redbelly7 wrote:Are you sure it's Time2Fish? I couldn't find that app on my Iphone.
It is on the Droid market.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

There is one for the iPhone called Fish Cal.
The Back Porch
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Rainman wrote:If you haven't been following the feed times, start now. I started a few years ago and I am completely sold. I have an app on my phone that takes all the work out of it, called Time2Fish, and I keep up with the daily, I also have a widget that sits on my homescreen that shows the moon phase and continuously updates, its a cool widget called MoonWidget. Lastly, get a smart phone with google maps, I literally drive the boat around and can see the rocks in the rock garden on the phone.
Fully agree, Rainman. Seems the hot bite can vary 30 minutes or so off the listed times, but amazingly close to predictions (also use Time2Fish). Actually got to witness it working for you yesterday at a certain unnamed honey hole. Just wish it hadn't worked for you alone! :lol: Joking aside, don't know if you saw it but we had a tiger shark hook up for 5 or 10 minutes. :smt103
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Yep, I followed the feed yesterday and slept in a little so I could be on the hole around eleven. I got broken off about 8 times, a few I got hits on both the rods at the same time! One had 80lb braid and the other 40, and I still could not turn some of those fish!! I threw back two 23' gags (had a 2011 pdf on my phone that said June 1 was closure) and the cobia was about a half inch short. Had the cobia and a gag on at the same time (fishing by myself) and about a 100 lb goliath followed the gag all the way to the boat, thought it was a cobia at first and almost fainted, haha.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Been doing some reading of late and going to start to follow these and see what becomes of it. I've download the apps for my Android.. time will te..
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

What are your thoughts on high pressure vs low pressure fronts ? And JT, Silverking I really expect a good answer front you two elders ! :smt005
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

I think there is merit to the solunar theory, but the author of the article linked above has some things mixed up. For example he says "When the moon is over your head or under your feet, the tide is low, and the feed is most intense.
As the moon is just rising or setting, the tide is high." I think (and any android solunar/tide chart app will confirm) that generally speaking when the moon is above you, the tide is high and when the moon is rising or setting the tides are low. It is not that black & white because the sun impacts as well, but clearly when the full or new moon is directly above you the tides are high.

http://www.onr.navy.mil/focus/ocean/motion/tides1.htm