Tarpon tips?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luceror
Site Sponsor

Tarpon tips?

Post by luceror »

On 7/5 I hooked a nice tarpon while trt fishing off of bald point, Got 3 good jumps as it finished getting my braidedline off my reel. Scince Ithen, on my last outing there I saw a couple roll and a 3 ft. come out of the water. Im in a kayak. I never have fished for them but was going to yeasterday and today but the weatrher and sea cond. yest kept me from lputting out there. Can someone give me some tips on methodology? I got a reel(spinning) and a rod that will handle it.
Bait--lures-- floatrig--- Trolling? Thanks Rick
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Tarpon tips?

Post by silverking »

Rick,
You must have been hallucinating, because there are no tarpon swimming in Big Bend waters. It must have been gar.

But if you want to try for "gar" be sure you have a 20- to 30-pound class outfit with at least 250 yards of line, probably more in a yak. I normally rig with 30-pound Power Pro.

Double a few feet of the braid using a bimini (preferred) or spider hitch knot. Add a 3-foot section of 60-pound fluorocarbon leader if the water is clear, or mono if it's stained. Join the braided loop to the leader using a bristol (No-name knot) or double-uni knots to jam the two tight. I always use a loop knot to tie on the lure to give it the most action.

My most productive lure has always been a DOA BaitBuster in black/silver, white/redhead or chartreuse/silver. If the floating grass is too bad, I'll switch to a Sebile soft Magic Swimmer. MirrOlures, big SW Chug Bugs or Skitterwalks will also work, but make sure the hardware is up to the task. Lead rolling fish by several feet and work the lure steadily. When the fish eats, set the hook a couple times, then enjoy the ride. Whenever it goes airborne, point the rod at the fish (bow to the king) to give some slack to hopefully prevent it from breaking off or throwing the hook.

Shorten the fight as much as you can by using the appropriate tackle. Don't take the fish out of the water when you land it. You have to have a $50 tarpon tag beforehand to possess a tarpon, but there's really no need. If you want a mount, get a replica and let the fish go. They can live several decades. And finally, if you want to help the scientists, order a free DNA tag kit (some tackle shops have them, too) and take a skin cell sample. They're getting some really cool data on these fish in terms of migration patterns, distances covered, etc. Here's the link to the tagging video:

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/tar ... ics/video/

Maybe TallTails will chime in with specific 'yak rigging tips, but that's the basics in a nutshell.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Well I guess I know why your handle is what bit is! Thanks for the good info. I wasnt halucinating, but I might as well of been dreaming. I dont think my taclke lasted more than 30 seconds before my 20lb mono backing went POW1 Iv got a spool full of 40lb(brand new)power pro braid on a good size Diawa spinning reeland a 6'6" med action redbone. Are these plugs your talking bout shallow divers or floaters? What about live bait--pinfish--crabs? How shy are these critters? Could I pull up near them w a quietr trolling motor or should I paddle Troll? Or drift? It was a first for me--- I wont stop now till I get one to the boat. And I wouldnt keep it, But would like to have a picture If i ever do get one in. And even if that doesnt happen-- those 30 seconds on 7/5/12 will never be forgotten by me!
Thanks Rick
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The lures I mentioned are all surface presentations. They'll certainly take a subsurface diver, but seeing the strike is half the fun.

I strictly fished lures and flies with my charters, but live pinfish or pilchards will definitely draw strikes. And they love crabs, too. But with any live bait, I'd suspend it under a float so it doesn't bury in the grass.

Our fish are migrating from east to west, mainly, although they will hang around areas for awhile before moving on. If you see rollers, chances are good there are more fish following or below the surface. They will spook, so a quiet paddle into casting range is the best approach.

The 40-pound braid will do the job, but you're probably outgunned with only a medium power rod. These fish average 75-100 pounds, with many larger than that, so I would upgrade as soon as you can if you're serious about getting one to the yak. Otherwise, you may be in for a Panacea sleigh ride.

Good luck.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Seems like those fish will hit anything when you're not rigged and targeting them.

From a kayak, I have been successfull jumping and landing big tarpon by using a 7'6" - 8' heavy rod rated to at least 30 pounds. You really need a lot of backbone in the rod to handle the antics a heavy fish can perform while underneath a kayak. I use 30# braid tipped with at least 6' of 80# flouro.

If you get ahold of a mature migrating tarpon, be prepared for at least a 45 minute agonizing fight. If you are lucky enough to eventually wear the fish out, I strongly recommend having a buddy there to pull your kayak while you revive the fish. This can take several minutes with an exhausted tarpon. I have pedals on my kayak, so I'm able to revive the fish by pedaling and holding on to the fish at the same time.

Good luck! It aint easy!
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Hey guys, thanks alot for the input! Nice photo TTales! I can only imagine what a surface attack would look like! Ill have another yaker fishing w me this comming week incase I need assistance ,but if I have to go alone I have a trolling motor set up I use when I have a lot of distance to cover. Lots of good info guys,--the part about them being skittish will helpout, as does the part about there might be other fish under or around the rollers. For now rod I mentioned will have to do, if it doesnt cut it it'l be the first rod I ever had broken by a fish. last fall I caught a nice bull red and I thought that was a pretty tough fight, so I believe u when u say " It aint easy"
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Hey guys, thanks alot for the input! Nice photo TTales! I can only imagine what a surface attack would look like! Ill have another yaker fishing w me this comming week incase I need assistance ,but if I have to go alone I have a trolling motor set up I use when I have a lot of distance to cover. Lots of good info guys,--the part about them being skittish will helpout, as does the part about there might be other fish under or around the rollers. For now rod I mentioned will have to do, if it doesnt cut it it'l be the first rod I ever had broken by a fish. last fall I caught a nice bull red and I thought that was a pretty tough fight, so I believe u when u say " It aint easy"