what brand gps /finder for around $ 500

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

aglass

what brand gps /finder for around $ 500

Post by aglass »

Im wanting to purchase a gps for my tracker but really don't know what all makes the difference in best one available at about 500. My boat has the tracker/hummingbird finder on it now. Should i go with just gps or get a combo. Please anybody that knows alot about them or has had ones that they didnt like let me know. Im gonna fish the freshwater lakes of ga and try river/flats fishing in the big bend area.
aglass

Re: what brand gps /finder for around $ 500

Post by aglass »

The tracker/hummingbird 128finder is currently on boat
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

My Garmin 440S has been a good one. Kinda wish I had opted for the 541S with the larger screen. As far as GPS it works great. I do not use the depth/fishfinder much as the waters I usually fish are shallow enough that I only see a 1 foot area of the bottom. The difference between a 441 and a 441S is that the "S" designates sonar.
You can usually find a 541s on sale. Keep in mind that most Garmin depth finders DO NOT come with a transducer.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Garmin 541S has been a great one for my boat.
slayer

Post by slayer »

buddy of mine was telling me about the new Lowrance HDI-7...gps + 2d + down scan all in one transducer (the lss-1 module is not needed).....seen one at a fishing show and got to tinker with it...great looking unit....just throwing this out because I'm running 2 lowrances....520c and the Elite DSI....now it all comes in a neat package with one transducer .
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

aglass

Post by aglass »

The best place to purchase? I think west marine may have the most in stock but not sure just looking online. Tdoes the new lowarence hdi 7 come with transducer and wiring thanks
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Might consider keeping the sounder you have now and adding the gps. This will give you full screen veiw of both position and depth. I had problems long ago with Hummingbird's customer service and switched over to Lawrance when GPS was something new, and have bought six units and never had a problem. I have the HDI-5 now, and am happy with it, use it on three different boats. One boat has an older Lawrance unit on it, so i use them both which gives me a screen for position and one for depth..
slayer

Post by slayer »

yes, the transducer and power cables are all included..

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I paid a about 400 for my Garmin 441.