Cleaning Sheepshead, reds, other armored fish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

Cleaning Sheepshead, reds, other armored fish

Post by Talltails »

I once heard a wise man say

All you need to clean sheepshead is a line
My favorite line is:
You clean the sheepshead and I'll clean the boat

I've cleaned fish with all types of knives. Anyone have any thoughts on knives?
Electric vs manual
Blades that hold a better edge?
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Re: Cleaning Sheepshead, reds, other armored fish

Post by Tidedancer »

Electric get my vote.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Tidedancer wrote:Electric get my vote.
X2 works great on almost all species of fish..... :thumbup:
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Electric knife companies love me! I can wear them out but don't want to be without a good one!
I am prone to forget you can get shocked..especially when standing in water and using a hose, etc. :lol:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

I use a Piranha Electric knife for the sheepshead. I get a fresh blade each year. I do clean approximately 100 sheep a Feb-March. Tis the season for the sheep. This Saturday matter fact!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

I prefer to think of myself as an artist when I clean fish :roll: . I prefer to perform surgery to butchery. :-D Guess I am the odd ball, but I stick with a regular fillet knife. Not sure of the brand, but Crums carries a white handled knife that holds a sharp edge. I have two of them, a shorter slender blade and a 9.5inch stiffer blade for large fish like AJ's, Grouper, Larger Snapper, etc.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

captkeyser wrote:I prefer to think of myself as an artist when I clean fish :roll: . I prefer to perform surgery to butchery. :-D Guess I am the odd ball, but I stick with a regular fillet knife. Not sure of the brand, but Crums carries a white handled knife that holds a sharp edge. I have two of them, a shorter slender blade and a 9.5inch stiffer blade for large fish like AJ's, Grouper, Larger Snapper, etc.
Don't know about AJs but for trout, reds, flounder and seabass I'll challenge "artistry" anytime...my electric technique vs manual fillet. :-D

Like Confucius said...."different strokes for different folks".......or was that Jack the Ripper?
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
flogator

Post by flogator »

Electric - If your don't cut thru the belly bones, they will last a long time (sheephead that is). Mister Twister
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

captkeyser wrote:I prefer to think of myself as an artist when I clean fish :roll: . I prefer to perform surgery to butchery. :-D Guess I am the odd ball, but I stick with a regular fillet knife. Not sure of the brand, but Crums carries a white handled knife that holds a sharp edge. I have two of them, a shorter slender blade and a 9.5inch stiffer blade for large fish like AJ's, Grouper, Larger Snapper, etc.
I'm with you capt k. I like dexter russel( white handle) knives. I cut the spines off with poultry shears and clean em like any other fish. I use a serrated blade for cutting thru thick skin and bones then use the curved blade fillet knife to remove the fillet from the backbone and ribs. I didn't think I was going to like the curved blade, but after using it, I love it. I'm not the fastest, but when done, you can always see thru the backbone. I imagine an electric knife may be the way to go if your cleaning a bunch, but I rarely keep more than 5 or 6. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Where else can you go and find a good fish-cleaning discussion :thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Always something new on the market. Look up Bubba Blade .com, great video and demo of fish cleaning.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

I like the Dexter wood handle non stainless filet knives. I get them from Angie's Marine. This steel is the only blade I can make razor sharp. You do have to oil the blade and no dishwasher.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Dawg.... Makes me think about gettin a Bubba for myself and getting away from the electric knife I normally use :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Joe wrote:I like the Dexter wood handle non stainless filet knives. I get them from Angie's Marine. This steel is the only blade I can make razor sharp. You do have to oil the blade and no dishwasher.
I still like to use the electric if there are a lot to do. But Joe is correct in saying the Dexter wood handle high carbon steel blade is better than the stainless steel. You can get a much sharper edge on them and they are easier to sharpen. They take a little more care in the rusting department but man can they slice up a fish.
If you look at a lot of professional fish cleaning houses you will see a lot of high carbon steel knifes over stainless.