Boat Cover Suggestions

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Boat Cover Suggestions

Post by fishing coach »

I've got a Key West 1720 Sportsman and I'm looking for a new cover. I want one that goes from bow to stern and covers the motor. Looking for one with a reasonable price but is still durable. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat Cover Suggestions

Post by fishinfool »

I personally use a heavy duty silver tarp and attach it to the trailer with bungees. It does not fit extremely tight which allows some air flow that helps to reduce mold and mildew problems as well as keeps out the leaves, dirt and neighborhood cats
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Never seen one that covers the motor except in the upper-end expensive covers. I buy the off the shelf covers (Academy, Bass Pro, etc.) one size larger than recommended. The extra 2' covers the motor and also extra cover down the hull sides. They usually last me 4yrs or so even in directs sun.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I've had everything from tarps to $129 covers to expensive covers $389. The one I have now is a Cabela's Ratchet Lock cover, which was $389. It has a built in motor cover. My opinion is that unless you are going to be trailering it with the cover, don't spend the extra money for an expensive one. I don't think they are any more effective. I won't do it again.
fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Post by fishing coach »

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming, I plan on going out this weekend and getting one.
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Post by yardman32317 »

I bought one from Walmart two years ago and it's still going strong.
Use a pack of bungee cords to anchor it to the trailer and it fits over the motor.
Plenty of ventilation and mold free.
I believe it's warranted for 3 years, just keep the receipt incase you have problems.
I have a G3 1756 center consol.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2508683?wmlsp ... la&veh=sem
Sua Sponte
RLTW
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

I have the same boat and I just bought the one from Academy Sports two months ago. It comes with the straps that you can clip on, like a life vest clip, and pull to tighten. They also claim you can leave the cover on when traveling. Its big enough to go over the motor and cover the sides. I have also purchased the one from walmart and the cover from academy is much more durable. Besides the one from Walmart didn't breath well enough for me and left mold underneath all the time. If you want me to send you a picture, private message me your number and I can send one to you in a text. here is the link http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =581132449
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Sorry, link doesn't seem to work. Here is the item number that you can put in the search box. BC31015MRA
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Post by fishing coach »

PM sent
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

NECRO BUMP!

Anyone making covers locally? My baby might need to move outdoors and I am interested in picking up a cover. Choosing between Academy, semi-custom and a true custom right now.

I am going to get a quote from Covertime in Tallahassee. Anyone else local that I should be talking to?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Covertime is a great choice. They really do nice work.

Believe Shields Marina also has cover fabricator. They were using Sunbrella material.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

New member here. Just got my first my first boat a few months ago. I had great luck with amazon for Covers. I used a brand called MSC, they served me well. The cover cost me just under 100$ and I grabbed a universal motor cover for another 20$. The model was for a 20-22' boat. Its a 600 denier, is waterproof and easy to take on and off.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I got my current cover from academy 2 years ago and it still looks like it did when I got it except for a fer stains from birds and pine tar that I have to lazy to clean off