Electronics for new boat?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Electronics for new boat?

Post by superiorrifles »

I'm in the process of doing some research on GPS and bottom machines for a future new boat (a year or so from now). Back when I was fishing from my 18' CC I used a standard handheld GPS with no "map" options. I could input a coordinate and go to it, that was it. I hit every sandbar and rock within a 3 mile radius during my first 6 months of fishing St. Marks until I finally had enough of them marked to travel without incident. Anyway, I would like to look now for electronics while I'm waiting on the right time (financially) to purchase my boat. I am wanting around a 20' center console (Angler 204 FX, Sea Hunt 202 Triton) type of a boat for some inshore/offshore fishing action. Is there a "good" "better" and "best" option for GPS units and bottom machines? I looked at a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI Fishfinder/Chartplotter at Sports Academy for $699.00, and to me, as I was playing with the demo, I thought this would be great. But it would be nice to know from some real life experience users. What exactly am I looking for in a good machine? I'm OK with spending more money the first time as long as when I use it, it does what I need it to do. A) (GPS with some built in or downloadable maps or charts for the areas that I want to fish.) B) Read the bottom at 100' or so good enough that I can know I'm on some sort of structure for good fishing. So, if you were about to purchase a new boat, what would be your choice of GPS and bottom machine options?

Thanks for your input,
Ryan
Ryan Newsome
Superior Precision Rifles, LLC
www.superiorprecisionrifles.com

Nothing Less Than Extreme Precision!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Electronics for new boat?

Post by Rhettley »

Don't forget to make sure the transducer is included in the price or will need to be added on. I don't think you could go wrong with the Lowrance. Garmin would be my second choice, followed by Hummingbird but Hummingbird has improved greatly over the years. That's just my humble uneducated opinion.
That handheld is always good to take as a back up in case your main unit goes out. A compass will get you back to land but I'm not good enough to hit the channel coming in with a compass.

Lowrance has some rebates on right now. Go to their main site to check what is available. Of course there is the chance you find the boat you want and it come with a great combo unit already on it.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/specialoffers/
Last edited by Rhettley on April 12th, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I would never by a combo! You can find fish with one or the other, but it's difficult without either "and if a combo breaks, you lose both" :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good point Wevans but if there isn't room on the console for two units you've got a problem. On my center console I couldn't fit two units, a compass, and a vhf. I guess I could relocate the vhf. Electrical failure on a boat would take out both units too. That's why I said always take the backup handheld.
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

wevans wrote:I would never by a combo! You can find fish with one or the other, but it's difficult without either "and if a combo breaks, you lose both" :beer:
So, what would you get?
Ryan Newsome

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

Thank you for your input!! I guess with the right handheld GPS you could use it on any boat you might have?

Anyone else have a favorite bottom machine?

Ryan
Ryan Newsome

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Here is some food for thought....

GPS MAP 78S

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 63601.html

BlueCharts g2 - downloadable to the GPS, Blue charts from Key West all the way to Brownsville TX and all navigation markers in between, average depths ect. You can Down load your last trip from your GPS to your PC and see the bread-crumbs on the map, and any way points you have marked for future use. It is easy to use and really brings the experience home and makes fishing and navigation more enjoyable :thumbup:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod6452.html

It is strange hearing about your previous boating experience;
" standard handheld GPS with no "map" options"
It seems you missed the boat with the maps, or maps weren't available back then?? Must have been a long time ago. I remember fishing 20 years ago before we even afford a GPS, and it was all by sight, and finding the rocks the hard way...

Save your $$ and put it somewhere else in your boat. Over kill on a GPS combo fish finder is kind of silly. If the combo unit fails, you've lost it all. Separate units are the best plan. Get what you absolutely need. I have a standard compass, fish finder, and an old GPS MAP 76SC. I have my Garmin in a Ram Mount. There is room for all 3 items and enough extra room to cut a little bait and hold a can or bottle. I only have about 20" of space on top of my console.

In my opinion, "Garmin Rules" .... I wouldn't trust a Lowrance...
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I have a Lowrance and a Garmin. I like the Lowrance. You'll need to buy a Navionics chip for detailed info. You may want to look at the DSI units from Lowrance, if you want to see the exact structure on the bottom. Soon, I'll be getting rid of the Garmin and have a Lowrance on my other boat. It will be the 5" DSI unit.
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

redbelly7 wrote:I have a Lowrance and a Garmin. I like the Lowrance. You'll need to buy a Navionics chip for detailed info. You may want to look at the DSI units from Lowrance, if you want to see the exact structure on the bottom. Soon, I'll be getting rid of the Garmin and have a Lowrance on my other boat. It will be the 5" DSI unit.
Like this one?

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _168357_-1

So if I have a (Garmin 78s Handheld GPS)
and the (Lowrance Elite 5 DIS combo) I would have a good fishfinder and a back-up GPS?

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Newsome

superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

mjsigns wrote:Here is some food for thought....

GPS MAP 78S

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 63601.html

BlueCharts g2 - downloadable to the GPS, Blue charts from Key West all the way to Brownsville TX and all navigation markers in between, average depths ect. You can Down load your last trip from your GPS to your PC and see the bread-crumbs on the map, and any way points you have marked for future use. It is easy to use and really brings the experience home and makes fishing and navigation more enjoyable :thumbup:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod6452.html

It is strange hearing about your previous boating experience;
" standard handheld GPS with no "map" options"
It seems you missed the boat with the maps, or maps weren't available back then?? Must have been a long time ago. I remember fishing 20 years ago before we even afford a GPS, and it was all by sight, and finding the rocks the hard way...

Save your $$ and put it somewhere else in your boat. Over kill on a GPS combo fish finder is kind of silly. If the combo unit fails, you've lost it all. Separate units are the best plan. Get what you absolutely need. I have a standard compass, fish finder, and an old GPS MAP 76SC. I have my Garmin in a Ram Mount. There is room for all 3 items and enough extra room to cut a little bait and hold a can or bottle. I only have about 20" of space on top of my console.

In my opinion, "Garmin Rules" .... I wouldn't trust a Lowrance...

This is good info!! I travel to the Keys from time to time for the Mini Lobster season and the Blue Chart g2 data would benefit me there as well.

The GPS I had was a Garmin 72 no maps. It was a gift from my wife, so I didn't get to pick it out. I use it more for hunting (Marking tree stands and where I parked my truck)

Ryan
Ryan Newsome

redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Yes, superior, a friend of mine has one and the down scan imaging is unbelievable.
superiorrifles
Site Sponsor

Post by superiorrifles »

redbelly7 wrote:Yes, superior, a friend of mine has one and the down scan imaging is unbelievable.

Even in 100' of water?
Ryan Newsome

redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

That, I do not know about, but I would think so. We have been recently 35' and less in a lake. Using it to target crappie.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Lowrance HDS Touch Series... just bought one. It's going on the boat in a couple of weeks. Down & side scan with sonar... made by Navico who also makes Simrad.