Econfina 5-18

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Econfina 5-18

Post by micci_man »

The weather was great and the ramp was full but the line moved pretty quick. 3 of us fished from 8:30- 2:30 in 4'-9' of water. Water temp started at 73* and ended up at 80*. The water was very stained 5' and less and didn't catch any trout. All of our fish were caught in 7-7.5' of water. We caught 10 short trout, 20+ short BSB, 2 sharks and 30+ ladyfish. We ended up with 5 trout, 1 spanish and 2 BSB in the cooler. Bigest trout was 19.5. Lime green 4" mirrolure grubs was the hot bait of the day. it produced more than gulps, live shrimp, top water and suspended lures. The highlight of the day was a 8' tiger shark slamming into the boat and then circled us twice less than a foot from the boat. Talked to a guy at the ramp and they had 3 limits, said they caught them E of rock island in 4-5' stained water.

Home by 4, fish cleaned by 4:30. Took a shower and went to get the fillets to fry to find my lab opened the cooler and ate every fillet (16)except the spanish :banghead:banghead:banghead
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
edjr

Re: Econfina 5-18

Post by edjr »

Well at lest your lab ate well tommy!
tabb

Post by tabb »

We got down there after the morning rush. Started fsihing about 10:30 stayed later than most. We were back at landing around 6:00. We had nine really nice trout with two of them being over 20 inches. We fished off of hickory mound in about 4-5 feet of water. It was stained but they like a white gulp under a cajun thunder. We caught most of our fish in the last hour and a half of fishing.

Went back to same spot the next day and ended up with 11 trout only two of those were close to 15 inches. Weather was perfect all weekend even when the clouds came in late saturday to cool things off by 10-15 degrees.

Only problems all weekend was the young guy that passed us in line to at the boat ramp. He was in such a hurry to get his boat in the water he cut right in front of us while we waited our turn. The other is when you see two boats drift fishing about 100 yards a apart why do boaters cut between them. Even had one boat come right by us late saturday afternoon when nobody else was even around.

I took two retired gentlmen that have not been flats fishing in many years and they both had a great time. It was one of the best trips Ihave been on lately.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Forgot to mention, there is a rock in the middle just as the river splits that island just down from the ramp in the NWZ that isn't visible or marked. Bent all 3 blades on my buddies prop.....
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Evidently Lab's don't like Spanish. :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

micci_man wrote:Forgot to mention, there is a rock in the middle just as the river splits that island just down from the ramp in the NWZ that isn't visible or marked. Bent all 3 blades on my buddies prop.....
I know that rock very well!
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

micci_man wrote:Forgot to mention, there is a rock in the middle just as the river splits that island just down from the ramp in the NWZ that isn't visible or marked. Bent all 3 blades on my buddies prop.....

You would think as many people that hit that rock, got me once or twice, that we'd dig the thing up & move it.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

at least mark it with a couple of PVC pipes...
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

micci_man wrote:at least mark it with a couple of PVC pipes...

You don't have to mark it, you know where it is now.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

That rock has been there quite a while.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Jumptrout51 wrote:That rock has been there quite a while.

Yes Sir we do. Just thinking about the next guy. That was the first time I have ever been out of that river/ramp. Are there any others in the middle of the river along the way? finding them like this could get expensive...
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

micci_man wrote:
Jumptrout51 wrote:That rock has been there quite a while.

Yes Sir we do. Just thinking about the next guy. That was the first time I have ever been out of that river/ramp. Are there any others in the middle of the river along the way? finding them like this could get expensive...
YES ,there are.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YESSIR, THERE ARE A BUNCH MORE ROCKS IN THAT RIVER, I HAVE SPENT ABOUT $1,200 REPLACING FOOT ASSEMBLIES AND PROPS. WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT MORE IF I HAD NOT DONE THE WORK MYSELF. JUST BEFORE THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD SIZE ROCKS, SOMEONE HAD PUT POLES ON THESE THE LAST TIME I WENT OUT OF THERE. I DO NOT GO OUT ECONFINA UNTILL THE TIDE IS AT LEAST PLUS 1.5 FT.
PA
SEMPER FI :smt006 salute1 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Flint River Pirate wrote:
I know that rock very well!
Hard to believe there is any of that rock left.......I've been trying to wear it down for years! :smt010
It has become a sort of "rite of passage"....just saying!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

micci_man wrote:The highlight of the day was a 8' tiger shark slamming into the boat and then circled us twice less than a foot from the boat.
:o :o :o
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton