St. Joe Bay 5/25

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RedMann
Site Sponsor

St. Joe Bay 5/25

Post by RedMann »

I'm still trying to learn St. Joe Bay but only making a little bit of progress. We fished the flats north and south of Eagle Harbor on Saturday throwing gulps and live shrimp under cajun thunders. Caught five trout with only 2 legitimate keepers -- a 17" and a nice 19". Threw back two 15-inch trout just because I don't like to take chances on measurements. Kind of hard for the trout to get to the bait with all the ladyfish. We must have caught 20-25 lady fish which are fun to catch but frustrating when you would much rather be catching trout. Water was gin clear with temps in the 79-81 range. Beautiful day once the wind laid down but not a lot a catching going on. Also fished the surf a couple of times over the weekend and managed a few decent sized whiting but not nearly as good as a couple of weeks ago. I did not catch a pompano or hear of any being caught but I didn't talk to very many folks so just take that part of the report with a grain of salt.

Hey Brian, I saw your boat at your place this weekend -- how did you do?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Joe Bay 5/25

Post by SHOWBOAT »

We did pretty well when we were fishing. I fished with my dad Sunday morning and caught a couple limits of trout up to 22". Saw some reds but no takers. I spent most of the weekend running family and dogs around the sand bars for some swimming and :beer:

There was a lower slot red crusing the end of the Cape less than 18" from shore. Not a bad place to call home if you can stay away from the sharks and dolphins.

We did catch a couple popping cork fish but most were topwater. With ~80 degree water the schoolie trout have moved a little deeper, 4-7', summer patterns. The big girls are still shallow. High pitched TWs like OneKnockers and Skitterwalks were preferred over SuperSpooks or Rattling Spooks.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Joe Bay 5/25

Post by RedMann »

Sounds like I need to be hitting you up for some SJB fishing advice! ;-) Wife and I did the beach thing at the end of the Cape yesterday. Looks like we were a little bit south of where that pic was taken. Drop dead gorgeous out there this weekend.