MODERN SPORTING RIFLES aka Assault rifles.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

MODERN SPORTING RIFLES aka Assault rifles.

Post by bman »

People keep talking about how hard it is to get one but I guess the manufacturers are catching up.
Was in Kevin's Tuesday and i was a little in shock. They had a wall full......Image
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Assault rifles.

Post by zload »

Rifle shortage ended several months ago for the most part, at least for semi-auto sporting rifles, about the time BHO and Shotgun Biden figured out that no semi-auto ban was forthcoming from the congress. Ammo still somewhat in short supply and still seems like 22LR is about the hardest thing to pickup. Now if we were talking real assault rifles (burst or full auto)none made for the consumer market since 1984... Even at the height of the gun ban craze Kevin's had some in the rack, I looked at a Ruger 556 (piston rifle)in early March and they had a regular pre-panic price on the tag.

They enacted a new military surplus import ban this week via Executive Order so they are still trying...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

DHS just put in a 600,000 order on AR15.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Jumptrout51 wrote:DHS just put in a 600,000 order on AR15.
What kind of army are they building?

And for what!?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Bman, please don't unwittingly play into the hands of the liberal gun grabbers by calling any weapon an assault weapon. There is no such animal except in the mind of a liberal. These are sporting rifles that are modeled after military rifles. These rifles are NOT designed for assault.

If I were to want something for an "assault", it would not be a semi-auto model such as these and it sure would not be the punk 22lr models being sold.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

MudDucker wrote:Bman, please don't unwittingly play into the hands of the liberal gun grabbers by calling any weapon an assault weapon. There is no such animal except in the mind of a liberal. These are sporting rifles that are modeled after military rifles. These rifles are NOT designed for assault.

If I were to want something for an "assault", it would not be a semi-auto model such as these and it sure would not be the punk 22lr models being sold.

So true! Certain weak-willed politicians should call it what it really is, "Scary looking gun that makes me wet my pants ban"
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

The term is modern sporting rifle. Don't propagate the anti-gun nomenclature.

I've never seen Kevin's, when I've been in there, short on AR-15 style guns, rather they priced them higher than the market, from my own comparisons. As with everything else, gun related, at Kevin's, it may cost a little more, but you know they will have it when you need it.
850-273-8818
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Please help me understand this one.

Disclaimer: Yup, I'm a liberal.

Other things: I own a whole safe full of guns, two boats, two kayaks, fish and hunt as often as I can, drive a big ole Ford F150 4 X 4 and have more fishing gear than my wife likes.

I do not get the whole debate about these weapons. Is it the opportunity to shoot them? I have done so with my neighbor and felt like all I did was waste a lot of money on the ammunition. Or is it solely the thought that if these weapons are restricted that that Second Amendment rights will be restricted?

I'm not making judgments. Hope I've made that clear. I burned many rounds the other day at the range with my friend. I am seriously just trying to understand. I think my side-by-side 16 gauge or 12 gauge pump will be plenty if someone is stupid enough to come in the house and the 9mm is plenty to pack when I'm traveling. I have never heard or read of someone using one of these weapons for home defense or hunting.

I hope I don't light a fire here but am seriously wondering about the debate on this one before I make up my mind because I have not.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Im with Gumbo. A guy I work with just purchased an AR-15 and has never shot a gun prior to this purchase. When I asked him his reason for the purchase he told me it was because he wants to be
protected from the "NWO" new world order. Makes me feel comfortable working with him. :o
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Self Defense:

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/v ... fend-home/

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/p ... -on-drugs/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... ia-bigelow

Hunting:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001355211

http://www.policymic.com/articles/24640 ... ting-rifle

The AR operation is the same as a BAR, 7400, Min-14, Mini-30or ANY other semi-automatic rifle...one trigger pull = one shot. The AR is exceptional at taking up recoil also, making it a good choice for smaller shooters. The real issue is not are these guns useful, the issue is that these guns look mean. IMO, if you are going to ban any one type of semi-auto, you are full of crap if you don't also try to ban ALL semi-autos and only allow bolt, breach, break, lever, muzzle loader, etc. The reality is that all shooters can appreciate faster reloads and cycling. At what speed is reloading acceptable? How quickly should a gun be able to cycle? Then you get the 2a question. How much of an advantage should the government have over the people it intends to control?

That's a bit rambling, mea culpa.
850-273-8818
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Gumbo and Capt Keyser, I can answer you both with one quick reply that doesn't speak to the isolated weirdos you're worried about... no, I believe they are an excellent option because for millions of individuals who have honorably served in our Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force they are singularly the one gun that servicemen know best how to handle / maintain. Including sales to our allies at least 8,000,000 have been used for training/service purposes, and that alone is one of the key reasons that millions of the AR-15 variants have been sold in the private market. For every weirdo you can find that worries you, I bet I can provide you with names of hundreds of servicemen friends who have chosen to buy AR-15s after completing their service years, and I can't think of anyone I feel more comfortable exercising their second amendment rights.

And speaking of weirdos, maybe you should ask why Big Sis likes them so much, especially when used for... wait for it... personal defense. She sure likes buying lots and LOTS and LOTS of rounds for them too, now doesn't she. Oh, and her boss is all for giving them to Mexican drug lords and Muslim Brotherhood fighters... but we should be more worried about our citizenry, right? :smt120 :smt017

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01 ... l-defense/
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Gumbo and many others wear blinders and think the a SHTF situation will never come.

I will say it IS coming, and coming within the next few decades. I may or may not be around by then, but I am damn well not going to let anyone take what is mine, unless they take me too....and that could very well happen also. But not without a hell of a fight!

You go on without adequate firepower and I will go on with it. If you think your shotgun will quell an angry mob of rioters, then go for it! Have your plot ready and picked out.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Lonesouth: Thanks for those links and the information. Good stuff there.

BBG: I had no idea about our military men and women and these weapons. Great insight. The DHS thing is weird but I want to look into that one a bit more before reaching a conclusion on the reason for the purchase. It does seem fishy.

Dubble: Disagree.

Still on the fence on this one but appreciate ya'll providing me some food for thought.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Gumbo wrote:Lonesouth: Thanks for those links and the information. Good stuff there.

BBG: I had no idea about our military men and women and these weapons. Great insight. The DHS thing is weird but I want to look into that one a bit more before reaching a conclusion on the reason for the purchase. It does seem fishy.

Dubble: Disagree.

Still on the fence on this one but appreciate ya'll providing me some food for thought.

I assume you are disagreeing on the SHTF situation...

I truly hope you are the right one, since I have children and grandchildren in this world. One of my worst fears is what they will have to endure in the future. Maybe it is just the old man in me, but I see an increasingly vicious population of folks that just want to take what they want with no repercussions.... At some point, either the good will have to draw a line, or the bad will just take over. Either way will not be pretty.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I just don't see the need for more than one round at a time. I'll take my old single shot Parrot anytime. "One shot, one kill." :thumbup:
Untitled.jpg
salute2
Semper Fi