Reel suggestions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

msm12r

Reel suggestions

Post by msm12r »

I am currently in the process of upgrading my equipment. The Penn Sargus is by far my favorite reel. I have had mine for 4 or 5 years, give or take. It is physically beat up, but is still smooth and works great. It is just time to get a new set of reels. With that being said, I work at academy sports and we do not have the sargus, but we do have the battle and the Okuma Trio. I did end up buying the trio because I have heard really good things about them, but I have also seen some reviews that they have an issue with longevity. I am thinking about getting one of each if nobody has a distinct favorite. I have noticed some small differences in the battle and sargus. I know the quality of the sargus, so what i'm looking for is if the battle has a better performance because I can get the battle for about the same price of a sargus with the discount. I do all saltwater kayak fishing, so these reels are going to be challenged. These reels will be paired with the blair wiggins gen 1 and a couple gen 2's I would prefer to have all the same reels, so I would appreciate yalls opinions and what has worked best for you.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Reel suggestions

Post by SS-342 »

I'm sure they are both good reels.

I do have a Penn 4000 Conquer which I have no issues with but have mostly the Shimano 4000 Stradic. I like them as well.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

I have a Penn Battle 3000 and it is sweet. Bought it on eBay for 45-50 bucks
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

I love my USA made Penn Slammer 260 w/my 7' St Croix. I've been a fan of the Slammer series since they came out because they're tanks and they'll last forever. I even have a Slammer 560 and I'm about to buy a 760. Try one out and I'm sure you'll like it. That being said, I also love my Battle 4000! Good luck
troper

Post by troper »

I bought a Battle 3000 and used it twice before returning it. Seems like a good reel but lots of wind knots with braid and seemed heavy. I bought another Shimano Symmetre and couldn't be happier.
FarhFrumWurk

Post by FarhFrumWurk »

i like my PENN slammer 360, but it is heavy. I'm sure it will outlast all of my other tackle (no plastic). Recently i have been going with light weight set ups and my shimano Stradic 2500fj and Cabo20pts are my two favorite reels at the moment. stradic has a bit more drag but the cabo is smoother.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I'm a big fan of the Shimano Stradic Ci4+. My 2500 handles just about anything on the flats but tarpon.

By the way, is the Academy in town ever going to sell higher end fishing rod and reels? Seems like they only have entry level rod and reels.
msm12r

Post by msm12r »

Squirm88 wrote:I'm a big fan of the Shimano Stradic Ci4+. My 2500 handles just about anything on the flats but tarpon.

By the way, is the Academy in town ever going to sell higher end fishing rod and reels? Seems like they only have entry level rod and reels.
Funny you ask that squirm, I am going to go out on a limb and say no. I filled out a survey and sent it to corporate, explaining to them that we really only have equipment for the average fishermen as well as majority fresh water stuff when it comes to rods and reels. They honestly do not sell anything I would use as far as rods or at least not anymore. We don't carry any shimano tremar rods and only a couple reels. Same situation with Penn. The only thing I have noticed as far as them taking my advice is getting a variety of different sizes. we really only carried 2000's through 4000. Recently they have sent us some 5000 through 8000 reels in some penn battles and fierce. We are located so close to the coast and it makes no sense why we do not carry more high quality saltwater grade equipment. I did my best to get the point across to them, but they do not like to take advice from associates even though I know what the customers are looking for. I typically have to go to dicks the rods and reels I use and even some lures because for some reason we don't carry the DOA Airheads. So I apologize for Academies inadequacies.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

msm12r….It took back bone to say that! Look forward to meeting you sometimes in the store.

They are looking at the profit picture. They can sell more low end stuff than high end. You might suggest they set up a system where interested customers could order the high end stuff?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
msm12r

Post by msm12r »

Yea which I can understand that, but they should really sell to both markets even If they have a lower stock of the higher end stuff for those of us who want a little higher quality. Not to mention they would have a better prices sales than bass pro, but I will definitely make that suggestion and see if I can't get something to happen. What is yalls impression of bass pro? I personally think its too small. I am from Eustis, so I have the Orlando bass pro nearby and its way bigger. It is pricey as well. I can get mirrolures about 3 bucks cheaper at academy without the discount.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Well, I like BassPro. It is new, clean, well organized, friendly employees and wonderfully decorated. That being said, I do a lot more looking than buying. I can buy most of what I want (fish bait) locally cheaper but if it is on sale at a good price and I need it, I buy it.

I also check the Academy store. I like it as well and for much the same reasons.

I'm not ashamed, I buy the best the cheapest I can find. Often times off the net. If you want my money, you work for it just like me, hard labor! I expect good, friendly service from whom ever I buy.

We have a Gander Mountain store in Valdosta. It is pricey but has good sales. I check ofter for the sales.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I live in Columbus, GA and we don't have anyone who sells saltwater tackle. Some of the best deals I have ever gotten on Gulp and mirrolure products have been ordered from Academy.
msm12r

Post by msm12r »

SS-342 wrote:I'm not ashamed, I buy the best the cheapest I can find. Often times off the net. If you want my money, you work for it just like me, hard labor!
I completely agree.
For those of you who do shop at Academy and have any suggestions please let me know, especially if maybe there is something we don't have that you would like us to carry. I will be more than willing to pass it along to the higher ups.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

msm12r wrote:
SS-342 wrote:I'm not ashamed, I buy the best the cheapest I can find. Often times off the net. If you want my money, you work for it just like me, hard labor!
I completely agree.
For those of you who do shop at Academy and have any suggestions please let me know, especially if maybe there is something we don't have that you would like us to carry. I will be more than willing to pass it along to the higher ups.
I usually shop wherever I can get the best deal. I've found Academy to have good prices on several things including their in house brands of clothing and ammo.

If you are looking for suggestions, I would suggest expanding the saltwater rods, reels and lures. If I was looking for a new rod, Academy would be the last place I look. You don't carry anything above a Shakespeare Ugly Stik. I would suggest stocking at least some middle end Shimano, G Loomis or St. Croix rods. Some nicer reels would help too, Stradics, Cabos, Penn Spinfishers. Do you even carry conventional reels? Some Shimano TLD's or Daiwa Sealine's or Penn Senators would be a start. Not saying to start stocking Van Staals, Penn Internationals or Avets but more saltwater rods and reels would be good.

I wonder if there is enough business to go around with Kevin's, Academy, Dick's, Bass Pro, West Marine and Sports Authority in town. There's a lot of choices when I am looking to buy a new rod/reel or tackle. Great for the consumer not so much for the retailer.
bman

Post by bman »

I have three Shimano Saros 3000 and 400 size. they are about four years old and I've had ZERO issues with them.
A few folks I know fish the symetre and like them as well.
I've fished other brands (diawa, WM, Penn) but Shimano feels right and have lasted.

Regarding competition- its a good thing for us consumers.
Its hard to see all the big box stores lasting but they are drawing folks from further away to shop here.
Practically Kevins still had 99% of what I need when I walk in the door and I get to deal with local folks.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"