Gags off st marks

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Gags off st marks

Post by boomhauer »

Trolled for gags yest and last Thursday out past 24. Trip last week was solo, but great conditions , front approaching, good current, calm and clear water. Trolled mostly in 35 ft. Bite was solid all day when I was around structure. I spent alot of time looking around since I had my limit after one pass over a known spot. Ended up releasing 3 or 4 to 28", no shorts.

Yest, had friends and kids in a bigger boat, but it started out rough. We tried to tough it out and wound up with 4 keeper gags, released some shorts, a big red and a shark. The shark was a first on a lure. Fortunately it calmed an ride home was smooth.

Great couple of days. Wish we could have dive as the vis was awesome.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Gags off st marks

Post by Gulf Coast »

A man that can go offshore and catch fish that he can not keep is a true sportsman...not saying I would keep any just saying I could not ride out for nutton. I do/did love some gag fishing this time of year
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Gulf Coast wrote:A man that can go offshore and catch fish that he can not keep is a true sportsman...not saying I would keep any just saying I could not ride out for nutton. I do/did love some gag fishing this time of year
I guessed you missed te part about him keeping his 2 Gag limit :roll:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Yeah, I really thought it was closed and he had released them...So gags are open now...I can't keep up I guess
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Gags have been open in federal waters since July 1! They are only open another 3 weeks in federal waters so now is the time! The bite should be wide open till it closes with the falling water temps. State waters are closed and the federal season closes on Dec 3. Shallow spots in federal off st marks 30-40 feet should be the ticket over the next few weeks!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Gotcha... :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt004