Tallahassee area sightseeing and eating help for friend

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Tallahassee area sightseeing and eating help for friend

Post by Rhettley »

I need some help with some ideas for an old friend. Susan lives in Atlanta and her daughter Grace just got accepted to attend FSU after she graduates high school this year. Susan and Grace will be at FSU on Jan. 1st and 2nd. Susan asked me to give her some ideas on "must see places" and food places. Being from Atlanta she's familiar with Caraba's, Ted's, etc. Susan is a typical take no BS soccer mom and a TOUGH high school principal. I guess something with local flair. On the "must see" places I said drive out to the St Marks Lighthouse and have a picnic but the weather might not cooperate on that. I don't guess she could take her daughter to the Bradforville Blues Bar... That would be my other choice. What kind of things are there for an Atlanta woman and her daughter to do around Tallahassee that they might find interesting? My usual stops of Kevin's, BPS, Academy, Bealls, etc. isn't their style.
Any ideas would be appreciated to help a friend and her daughter have a good trip to FSU and Tallahassee.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Tallahassee area sightseeing and eating help for friend

Post by Salty Gator »

Good(non chain) restaurants, kool beanz( probably my favorite), food glorious food( also has a gastro bar), mosaic and cypress. Haven't been in a while, but mockingbird cafe is also very good and offer live music on fri and sat. Usually folk(ish) music. Most of those restaurants are in the midtown area, plenty of bars. Hope this helps
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Boat/nature tour at the Wakulla Springs State Park and a day trip to St. George Island State Park are always two of the favorites of family/friends who visit.

The Owl Cafe and raw bar at Scipio Creek Marina (can't remember the restaurant name) are good choices for Apalach. A hidden gem in Tallahassee is El Patron, off the Parkway, if they like authentic Mexican food that's very reasonable.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Coosh's and Georgio's get my vote for good places to eat.

She can always go down to Shield's Marina and rent a pontoon boat. Good clear water right now in both the Wakulla and St. Marks with lots to see. Cruise to the Riverside Café and have lunch as well. If they don't want to mess with a pontoon boat, rent some kayaks.

The Antique Car Museum is good for an afternoons entertainment, especially if the weather is bad.

Coon Bottom or Talon Training are good for shooting skeet, if they enjoy that.

Downtown Thomasville, and Havana are both good for strolling through the antique stores and other shops.

That should get you started...
thebpac

Post by thebpac »

Go eat at Jonah's in thomasville
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

This is a link to the Tallahassee museum. They have a zip line that is pretty neat. I got an email that said they were running a special with free admission with zip line ticket purchase.

http://tallahasseemuseum.org/
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I like Jonah's and Liam's in Thomasville, but if I were in Tally, I would make the trip to Spring Creek restaurant. On the way, take a tour of the Fort and on the way back, stop at a St Marks bar and show the little girl why she needs to stay in college and get a degree....
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Tell her to have her daughter read the entire 285 page evidence report on the Winston case before she gets here! Angelo's in Panacea is also nice. If weather permits Wakulla Springs glass bottom boat or a canoe trip. May get to see manatee. Take them fishing!
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Tour the old capital and the Museum of Florida History. Eat at Ray's Steel City or the Seineyard in Crawfordville. Walk the trails in St. Marks NWR
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

VERY GOOD IDEA ON READING THE EVIDENCE REPORT.... FOR ANY COLLEGE GIRL GOING TO ANY MAJOR COLLEGE
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Great suggestions. If she is here for only two days, I would caution about the trips out of town. A lot of time in the vehicle for such a short visit. I would suggest a trip downtown, look at the chain of parks, the Old City cemetery, and then take the elevator to the top of the Capitol. Great view up there. And speaking of views, the balcony at Harry's and the top of Duval both have excellent sunset vistas. You can't go wrong with the Bradfordville Blues Club. And you can walk around Midtown and not run out of things to do.

Silverking, I think the name of the place you are thinking of by Scipio Creek is "Up the Creek."
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hard to beat the beauty of Maclay Gardens, and not very time consuming to visit. Camelias should be blooming. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Cabo's is a good area restaurant. Mom and Dad's too. The Museum of Florida History 500 S. Bronough Tallahassee, FL 32399 850.245.640 would be nice. Also can't go wrong with the old Capitol.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Thanks for all the help guys! I forwarded them to her to look over. If anyone else has any good ideas post them up and I'll forward them to her. Two days with a drive down and back up to Atlanta doesn't leave a lot of time for them so I figured St. Marks or Panacea is as far as they would want to roam. I'm going to use a few of those recommendations myself when I take the wife and her kids to Tallahassee.
By the way, I had to come to town today myself. I managed to fit in an evening trip to Bass Pro. Pretty nice one for Tally. Options are always good! I did pick up several of those sherpa lined flannel shirts they had on sale and a pack of Z man paddlers. I think the Zman's are $3.99 there.
bman

Post by bman »

We have not updated it a lot but this is our food/restaurant blog.
http://eatingtallahassee.com/

Also-
Madison Social by FSU for drinks... but eat at the taco or sushi place in the same building.

Midtown is the place to go for her mom-Its the adult "Tennessee Strip"
Wine Loft, Front Porch for apps and a cocktail. Kool Beans is one of the best restaurants in town.

By Campus-on Pensacola- Gordo's Cuban food cant be beat for lunch.
Sweet Racks BBQ is the best in town On Tennessee St near Ocala.
Atomic coffee for Breakfast - the three little piggy's sandwich is CRAZY good. I may have to drive right over then now :lick:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"