Could GPS/fishfinder be draining battery?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Could GPS/fishfinder be draining battery?

Post by pcbayou »

This question probably has been answered, but I couldn't come up with the right combination of keywords to find the answer in a search. Could my new GPS/fishfinder unit be draining my battery?
The battery has failed several times (just a buzzing sound that I remember from other times the battery was drained). Usually it would fire up eventually, but today, it didn't. We had to call SeaTow, and a jump start did the trick.
Earlier, when I had it checked out, the dealer said the battery was charging fully, and there was no problem with the fishfinder. I think I remember, though, that the mechanic said when he installed the fishfinder that he put it on the same circuit as the motor. Maybe our old fishfinder was on a separate circuit (?) (I may be remembering it backwards -- he could have said he changed the same circuit to separates).
The battery is less than a year old, so it shouldn't have died already.
Any guidance?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Could GPS/fishfinder be draining battery?

Post by SS-342 »

I would make sure all my connections are CLEAN and TIGHT.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CLEAN YOUR BAT. CONNECTIONS WIPE THE BAT. POST WITH A DROP OF OIL AND TIGHTEN THE CONNECTIONS REALLY GOOD. FISH FINDER SHOULD NOT DRAIN THE BAT. UNLESS YOU LEAVE IT ON WHEN NOT ON THE WATER. IF YOU LEAVE IT ON AT HOME IT WILL DRAIN YOUR BAT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Just because a battery is near new, and tests good when charged, doesn't mean it's good.

Your fish finder doesn't draw enough amperage to drain your battery. Assuming you purchased a large enough battery, it should power all of your electrical accessories and still have enough left in it to start your motor. I've had two batteries that tested good leave me stranded.

If in the past it would buzz, then eventually start the motor, you need to check every connection involved in starting the motor. That would include both leads to the battery, all of the positive connections to the motor, as well as the ground connections on the motor. If there is an in line fuse on the motor between the ignition switch and starter solenoid, take it apart, clean the connections in the holder,and clean the fuse.
What was I supposed to do today?
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

"The battery has failed several times (just a buzzing sound that I remember from other times the battery was drained)."

What do you mean by this statement? Where was this "buzzing" sound coming from and when? When you tried to crank the engine?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Three Words - Battery Disconnect Switch!

Or at least always take the cable off when boat is sitting. Most modern electronics will have a small drain to the battery even when they are switched off.

If you mean only when out on the water, did you fully charge before leaving home? A GPS/FF will not run a good battery down in an afternoon of fishing.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks for your help, y'all. It's good to be back on the board after a long absence. I'll check all battery connections, etc., to make sure they're OK.

Can anyone recommend a good battery? The one I have now is from Walmart ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Gro ... y/20531540 ). I admit I'm a cheapskate. But should I consider something more expensive/more capacity? I've had decent luck with Walmart batteries until now.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Do you have a starting battery and a house battery? My set setup is a starting battery connected to an 1-all-2-off switch with a house battery connected to that switch. All the house (electronics) loads go to the #2 battery (house). You can switch to "all" when using the motor to charge both batteries and 1 when fishing, so the house battery is isolated from the starting battery, that way it can't discharge your Starting battery. I am about to add a Combiner 100 between the two batteries, it does the switching automatically. When you crank the motor it combines the two baterties so they both charge, and disconnects them when the motor is shut off. The other switch will stay, and allows you to manually combine both batteries if the starting battery does not have enough juice left. I also keep a pair of jumper cables on the boat and can jump my trolling motor batteries to my starting battery. The combiner is made by yandina.com, they also have a device that allows the trolling motor batteries to charge also.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

charlie tuna wrote:"The battery has failed several times (just a buzzing sound that I remember from other times the battery was drained)."

What do you mean by this statement? Where was this "buzzing" sound coming from and when? When you tried to crank the engine?
Well, "buzz" may not be the right word. It's more of a fast click, I guess, like the motor is trying to get enough juice to turn over. Because it did start with a boost, I figured the problem had to be the battery.
loganh3101

Post by loganh3101 »

The clicking sound is the solenoid. The contacts inside get corroded or burned and it will click trying to get contact. If it does it with good connections and a good battery just replace it. I replaced the solenoid on my hyd. jack plate yesterday. That was easy, don't know about a boat engine.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, y'all. I'll check out the battery as well as the solenoid.