Lens Preferences?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Lens Preferences?

Post by fishing coach »

Looking for some suggestions for lens colors. I'm going to buy a new pair of Costas and know what frames I want but would like to hear what others think about lens colors. I primarily fish inshore in the St Marks area if fishing style matters. Thanks
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Lens Preferences?

Post by Tom Keels »

Green mirror.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I've always preferred blue mirror Costas. I've worn them for years.
Team Jolly Mon
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Blue mirror calcuttas-- 23.99 at Crums in Panacea!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Polarized amber or copper for inshore to cut the glare and provide the best visibility in the shallows. The green or blue mirror is the outer coating, so you can add that if you want to be stylin'.

Gray is the optimal lens shade for offshore.

And good choice of the Costas. Been wearing them for 30+ years. Never pays to go cheap with your eyes. You only get one set.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If you like sight fishing for reds, spend the extra coin on a pair of. 580 lenses w the green mirror. They really make red colors jump out at you. And a frame that lets as little light as possible, like the Blackfin
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

You really need two pair. Grey lenses for sunny days. Amber for cloudy or low light. Polarized of course. Be aware however that different peoples eyes see light & colors differently & sensitivity to each is different. Buy several cheap pairs with different tints to see what works for you before committing to an expensive pair that you might not like.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

silverking wrote:Polarized amber or copper for inshore to cut the glare and provide the best visibility in the shallows. The green or blue mirror is the outer coating, so you can add that if you want to be stylin'.

Gray is the optimal lens shade for offshore.

And good choice of the Costas. Been wearing them for 30+ years. Never pays to go cheap with your eyes. You only get one set.
THIS :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt004.....BTW I don't own a pair of Costas
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I wear Ocean Waves (they have their HQ in Jacksonville) they put glass on the outside of the mirror film so a little better scratch resistance. But amber inshore and grey offshore is the game. I can't wear cheap lenses and I can wear them 12 hours a day with no headaches.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Check out RCI Optics... a new player in the game that has proven itself over and over again.

I wear their Mosquito Lagoon frames w/ the Sunrise Gold Mirror (amber).

I've previously owned two pairs of Costas (580G, Green Lens), and Oakley polarized... RCI's blow'm out of the water.

Let me know if you want to try my pair for a day and I'll hand'm over (assuming that I'll get them back, of course :lol: )

http://www.rcioptics.com/
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have always preferred the amber / copper lenses as well.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

DEMON wrote:You really need two pair. Grey lenses for sunny days. Amber for cloudy or low light. Polarized of course. Be aware however that different peoples eyes see light & colors differently & sensitivity to each is different. Buy several cheap pairs with different tints to see what works for you before committing to an expensive pair that you might not like.
This is good advice. Wished I had it several years ago. Paid an arm and a leg for a prescription pair of Costa's and never liked them…..at all!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP