Looking for a new to me boat.

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bpac
Site Sponsor

Looking for a new to me boat.

Post by bpac »

I have 10 thousand set aside for a boat. Any leads or suggestions?
Skeeter-Bite
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a new to me boat.

Post by Skeeter-Bite »

2008 Skeeter ZX20 Bay Boat

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/4533798368.html

This is a friend's boat and it is in great shape!
bpac
Site Sponsor

Post by bpac »

That boat is practically my dream boat. It is however out of my current price range.
strawhat

Post by strawhat »

I have a 1720 Key West with 115 for 6900.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Depends on what you want to do and where you like to fish. Offshore? Inshore? Family boating?

A bay boat like Skeeter Bite's will sort of do it all. I like to stay near the shore and mostly East of St. Marks River so I run an aluminum boat with a jet foot due to all the rocks and shallow, dark water.

If you want a bay boat, a used Sea Pro or Key West may be within or slightly over your budget.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

How many boats have you bought and/or sold?

When buying, there are plenty of mistakes that lead you into buying "someone's problems". Plenty of do(s) and don't(s) when checking out and test riding a used boat.

Never spend $10,000 without a 45-60 min test ride. Buying $25 worth of gas on a test ride, is often the wisest $25 you may ever spend. Then, there are a dozen things that need to be accomplished on that test ride.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Decide what kind of fishing you will do: off shore, inshore (grass line or flats). Then find the best boat that you like. Pay Ifishtoo a couple of fishing trips and have him test the boat with you.

We have a 198 Carolina Skiff for the flats and it serves us very well. A person would have a dozen or more boats if they got one for every purpose.

The big decision is what type fishing you want to do. Then match the boat.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

You can get a great used boat for $10,000. Figure out what type of fishing/boating you intend to do, then start cruising the Craigslist classifieds. If you can, have a professional who you trust look the boat over completely before putting any money down.
bpac
Site Sponsor

Post by bpac »

I am looking at a flats boat or a bay boat. I have liked a few key wests and a couple of sea pros thus far.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Well that covers a lot of ground. How much comfort are you looking for?? A 14 foot aluminum skiff with a 9.9 HP will get you to the same places, as that 150 HP flats rig! And you need to consider how often you will be using it vs how much you want to spend. Looking out the window at your $3K boat in the yard, is easier than looking at a $10K boat.... Another issue is room, how many do you expect to take with you?? One thing for sure, it's a whole lot cheaper to buy the right boat FOR YOUR NEEDS the first time around.... Good luck on your purchase....
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

How "new" does the boat have to be? There are some great deals on used Hewes if you look hard enough. Most in that price range are 90's boats, but the old Lappy hull Hewes are some outstanding flats/bay boats, and anything newer than '89 has no wood in the hull from what I can remember.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Don't rule out eBay either. I found a very nice one from down in Deland. Also found a 78 Ford Bronco that way. I was nervous about bidding that much,but if you get there and it is a POS, the worst they can do is put you in ebay jail. You don't HAVE to buy it. I always talk to the person ahead of time on the phone before I bid. If they won't talk to you, run away. Same for craigslist. Just narrow down what you are looking for Tempest I think is the name of craigslist search engine that will help you find them all over the southeast.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Yep, that's it. I use it all the time. http://www.searchtempest.com/
bpac
Site Sponsor

Post by bpac »

That is a great search site. Thank you for sharing.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i've got a 2008 triton Redfish series 1860 CC tunnel hull. with a 90 mercury. i believe we could work something out if you where interested. if so shoot me a PM. if not, good luck with your search!!