fishing in the Keys

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

fishing in the Keys

Post by ertauber »

I would like to fish in the Keys for inshore species. I have a boat for shallow water but would to get some advice on where to go, where to stay not too expensive and if possible to find a fishing partner. I am flexible on time and am an experienced shallow saltwater angler. I am in Medart and usually fish the Bald Point and Ochlocknee River areas.
Love this forum and hope to get some helpful feedback
Pirate

Re: fishing in the Keys

Post by Pirate »

When are you wanting to go?
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

For inshore, I would go to Islamorada. Fishing the "back side" in FL Bay is fantastic for Trout, Redfish, Flounder, and some Snook. You'll also have a shot at Tarpon, Mangroves and sharks - Bonefish too if you're good.There's not many really inexpensive places, but some reasonable old Florida type resorts that have ramps and slips - Kon Tiki, La Siesta, La Jolla, Pelican Cove, etc. On the Atlantic, you'll find some fish out on the patch reefs and you can chum up Yellowtails on the reef in about 80' depending on the seas and the size of your boat.

The back side offers endless flats, grass flats, deeper channels and mangrove islands. You can run to Flamingo and Cape Sable for a better chance at Snook and Reds. Its a remarkable fishery that you will get spoiled by. Beautiful stuff, but you need a good GPS chart and a float plan. It can go from 12' to 1' in 10 feet. Check google map and get a good chart to plan your trips. Live bait, cut lady fish (which you'll catch plenty of), gulps on 1/8th or 1/4 oz jig heads, plugs like spooks and mirrorlures, etc. You may also want to monitor the Keys section on the FL Sportsman forum for info in addition to the good advice you'll get form the guys on here that get down there. Good luck and have a great trip.
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

I am open on timing since I am retired. The biggest influence would be weather patterns and the migration patterns (if this is applicable) of fish.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Islamorada is fishy for sure, but it also gets a lot of pressure. Smartest bonefish in the world.

I've gone several times to Marathon and really enjoy the variety. You can catch tarpon and bonefish on the ocean flats, run into Florida Bay and fish for permit, tarpon and sharks. It's also a short ride south to launch at Big Pine and run out to the Content Keys.

Early to mid-spring is a good time to go. Weather is stabilizing and the bonefish, permit are moving back on the flats consistently. Gets a little crazy during tarpon and lobster seasons.

We've stayed at the Blue Water Motel and it is reasonable during the off-season, with clean rooms, kitchenettes, a ramp and boat basin and close to Publix, stores, etc.

Now you've got me jonesin' to go back. Good earlier advice about having detailed navigation charts. It's not hard to get around, if you do your research beforehand and take your time.

Good luck if you go and post up a report.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

X2 on the lowers keys area. We have camped at Bahia Honda many times and they have cabins (reserve early) This is probably the most scenic spot to camp on any coast in the US. You have direct access to Content, 7 mile bridge and all the bridge areas around Bahia Honda. If you can get offshore there are the many patch reefs and only 5 or 6 miles to deep reefs. Looe Key Reef resort is one of the reasonable priced motels in the area. I don't know how your time or budget is but in the lower keys (below Marathon) houses have to be rented by the month. You can get a house for a month for what you pay a week at SGI for example. Our last one had four bedrooms, three baths, on a canal five miles from Looe key. We split it up among three of us and it was a steal. PM me if you want more details on that. Islamorada is a good area but as one person stated a little busy. We did the upper keys for a few trips but now won't even consider anywhere but the lower keys. More of island time down there. If you love to be on the water you do owe it to yourself to go. You won't regret it.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

x2 on Marathon. Good fishing bay & ocean side, Motels to stay at, grocery stores, good restaurants & fast food. Only a 20 something mile run to flamingo by water. I go every year to Key Colony Beach & rent a house on a canal for a week. Best week of the year.