How to clean redfish video

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

How to clean redfish video

Post by spothogg »

This video is pretty interesting. I've never heard of using a beef skinning knife for cleaning fish, but it looks like it works well. I also love the fish tail holder he made using a dowel with a beer bottle cap screwed to the bottom. Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwfKBsgImg
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: How to clean redfish video

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THANKS FOR A NEW WAY TO CLEAN REDS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

eh'. Interesting, but I'll stick with my method..

besides, with as many filet knives I've won via raffles from the NFGFC meetings, I'll have knives for generations to come! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I've used that knife and method of cleaning reds for several years now. I love that knife.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I usually leave the skin/scales on with redfish, along with the ribcage, cause I normally either grill or broil my redfish, and just pick the meat off the bones after it's cooked :lick: . But, for blackening, frying, or most any other cooking method, it looks like a good way to squeeze a little extra meat out of each fish. I'll have to give it a try.
Also, I couldn't help but notice some negative comments on the youtube page about the knife blade rusting up. Rust on a knife blade means it's a high carbon steel. High carbon steel holds a better edge than stainless, and for a longer time. All you gotta do is keep it dry when not in use, and don't run it through the dishwasher. In fact, I never run any of my good knives through the dishwasher, stainless or not.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

red_yakker, the knife is carbon steel and holds an edge very well. Mine has a patina to it now, but no rust. I clean it after every use and will occasionally wipe it down with silver compound. It's been a great all around cleaning knife...I use it for redfish and other large fish, as well as deer.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

Where do you find a curved knife like that for sale? It's called a beef skinning knife?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

http://cleanyourcatch.com/?product=curv ... ning-knife
Just did a quick Google search and found this. I'm not sure if it's the only place to find them.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

Thanks, Red. Actually, I just spoke to my son, out in Colorado, and his father-in-law has a forge and some knife making
tools, and I may have him make one for me.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Been away for a while, but I took a flyer on this knife and have now started cleaning reds like this. My brother hates when I do it this way, because he likes frying backbones. There is not enough meat left on the backbone to make it worth it doing it like that. I use a fish scaler to hold the tail end down on the filet. It works well. There is a bit of a learning curve, because everything feels backwards, but I have it down now. The key is putting your finger on the blade like he says. The knife gets patina very quick as noted. It also stays real sharp, but I keep a stone and a rod and give it a quick touch up before cleaning every time.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Dexter makes several similar profile "beef" skinning knives along with some "sheep" skinning knives with the familiar white non-slip type handle as well as wood handles run about $20 - $30 depending on model... they do work pretty darn well cleaning fish. Not that I'm going to be catching any this weekend :(

6" Beef Skinner
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150