Trolling for grouper

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhodes

Trolling for grouper

Post by Rhodes »

I will be down at Panacea Easter weekend and if weather and seas permitting I plan to try some trolling for Gags in state waters. My questions are, what is the best set-up for trolling. I was thinking 50# braid with a 80# fluorocarbon leader. Also, do you think it best to tie the leader to the main line or just use a swivel? Also, will they be any Kings around this time of year and if so should I be using a wire leader? Thanks for any advice.
EddieJoe

Re: Trolling for grouper

Post by EddieJoe »

Rhodes wrote:I will be down at Panacea Easter weekend and if weather and seas permitting I plan to try some trolling for Gags in state waters. My questions are, what is the best set-up for trolling. I was thinking 50# braid with a 80# fluorocarbon leader. Also, do you think it best to tie the leader to the main line or just use a swivel? Also, will they be any Kings around this time of year and if so should I be using a wire leader? Thanks for any advice.
That's a good setup, and I would make the leader at least 6' long, to add some shock capability. A relatively soft tip on your trolling rod will also help with ripping the hooks out of the fish when they hit, which braid tends to do. Either a swivel or direct tie works for me, and if kings cut you off go to a 12-18" wire trace tied to the mono. I lose a plug now and then to kings or big Spanish, but I really don't like using wire although I will.

Whether there will be any kings around depends on the weather and the bait movement. After this week when I found virtually nothing off of Dog Island over hard bottom in 45', I can only hope things will change. It was pretty discouraging but a couple of weeks of warmth like we are having can change things fast. Right now it is dead, dead.

EJ
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I like to thread a swivel onto the eye of whatever lure I'm trolling with, and then tie line-to-line. I usually use 80lb mono or fluorocarbon as leader material, and rarely have a problem losing kings when fishing with deep-diving plugs.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

I am also wanting to build a nice trolling set up. Do you mind sharing what type of rod and reel you use for this?
Thanks
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

timmy0257 wrote:I am also wanting to build a nice trolling set up. Do you mind sharing what type of rod and reel you use for this?
Thanks
Sure. Would say to start that most any medium outfit will work in a pinch, spinning or conventional. That being said, I like to have two outfits that I usually use just for trolling, but they can also nicely be used for a fly line for kings or cobia.

I have two All Star 6' Coastal 20-30 lb class rods with a gimbal butt. Each has a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag reel, spooled with 30 lb mono and/or 50 lb braid, depending on my mood. I have gone back and forth between using braid, which trolls deeper, and mono, which hooks more fish because it "gives" on a strike. I much prefer a lever drag reel because you can adjust the drag to just above running the line off when trolling (click on) then have the strike position ready to engage when you have a bite. Much more predictable and repeatable than a star drag, but star drags work just fine too. Even a spinner will work, especially a dual drag baitrunner Shimano, for example.

Given that trolling is kind of a specialty activity many folks will just use their grouper rod, but I like a special rig because it is always ready and you can just put it away after you get sick of trolling, which you will these days. Back in the day, trolling was a sure fire way to fill the grouper bag quickly and with minimal gas and effort. Now I just don't get that many grouper trolling, although it still works well for kings and Spanish, sometimes even for cobia. Fish are just not as common, or maybe I have lost my touch. If you use Stretch 30's or any other big plug you will need to store them carefully before and after use, and take special caution if you hook a fish and bring them in the boat. For some reason, grouper often don't fight nearly as hard caught trolling until you bring them into the boat, then they go nuts. Be ready to control them from a distance and don't get too close until you have the fish well under control with a glove, a gaff, or a boga, or two of those. A big treble buried in your arm or face wouldn't be a great thing, and it does happen. I carry a pair of small bolt cutters for just this reason. Hold them down, use a pliers or hook out to remove the treble, carefully.

Hit the MOB button on the GPS when you get a strike, then you can go back to make another pass. Keep trolling for a ways to draw the fish out of the rock before stopping the boat, which also may hook a second fish on the other rod. I use trolling spreaders but you still need to make slow turns or you will foul the plugs.

Luck,

And you will see me trolling after April 1.

EJ
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

EddieJoe wrote:
timmy0257 wrote:I am also wanting to build a nice trolling set up. Do you mind sharing what type of rod and reel you use for this?
Thanks
Sure. Would say to start that most any medium outfit will work in a pinch, spinning or conventional. That being said, I like to have two outfits that I usually use just for trolling, but they can also nicely be used for a fly line for kings or cobia.

I have two All Star 6' Coastal 20-30 lb class rods with a gimbal butt. Each has a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag reel, spooled with 30 lb mono and/or 50 lb braid, depending on my mood. I have gone back and forth between using braid, which trolls deeper, and mono, which hooks more fish because it "gives" on a strike. I much prefer a lever drag reel because you can adjust the drag to just above running the line off when trolling (click on) then have the strike position ready to engage when you have a bite. Much more predictable and repeatable than a star drag, but star drags work just fine too. Even a spinner will work, especially a dual drag baitrunner Shimano, for example.

Given that trolling is kind of a specialty activity many folks will just use their grouper rod, but I like a special rig because it is always ready and you can just put it away after you get sick of trolling, which you will these days. Back in the day, trolling was a sure fire way to fill the grouper bag quickly and with minimal gas and effort. Now I just don't get that many grouper trolling, although it still works well for kings and Spanish, sometimes even for cobia. Fish are just not as common, or maybe I have lost my touch. If you use Stretch 30's or any other big plug you will need to store them carefully before and after use, and take special caution if you hook a fish and bring them in the boat. For some reason, grouper often don't fight nearly as hard caught trolling until you bring them into the boat, then they go nuts. Be ready to control them from a distance and don't get too close until you have the fish well under control with a glove, a gaff, or a boga, or two of those. A big treble buried in your arm or face wouldn't be a great thing, and it does happen. I carry a pair of small bolt cutters for just this reason. Hold them down, use a pliers or hook out to remove the treble, carefully.

Hit the MOB button on the GPS when you get a strike, then you can go back to make another pass. Keep trolling for a ways to draw the fish out of the rock before stopping the boat, which also may hook a second fish on the other rod. I use trolling spreaders but you still need to make slow turns or you will foul the plugs.

Luck,

And you will see me trolling after April 1.

EJ
wow thats great. I have a set up with 30# braid and 50# mono leader. I figure i will give this a shot.

Thanks again
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

We trolled a bit this weekend and came up with a small gag and a big flounder . What type of conditions and environment should I look to when targeting grouper?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

No simple answer there, and I'm not much of an expert based on my catch ratio these days. But, FWIIW:
I do best trolling in our area for grouper before the water gets real warm. For me, April and May are the best months. Best trolling early in the season is between St Marks and marker 26, 20-35' of water, over hard bottom. Off of Dog and St. George 35-45' late April and May. Once the bait is in heavy the grouper bite on plugs slows for me. Used to be a lot better longer.
Numerous reports of very good trolling off of Econfina in 20-40' when it has shut down elsewhere. Could be just more fish and fewer fisherman going offshore from there. Lanark and Carrabelle have become a circus in the Spring and every boat has GPS.
Luck
EJ
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

What is the best speed for pulling those deep divers?