Registering a Boat in GA or FL??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bonecracker

Registering a Boat in GA or FL??

Post by Bonecracker »

My next door neighbor at the coast (Carrabelle) registers his boat in Florida but lives in Leesburg, Ga! My Pathfinder is registered in Georgia and I have a new smaller boat on the horizon and wondered if there were any pros and cons with either?? I do know the City of Tville taxes my Pathfinder pretty good!! :thumbdown: Any thoughts??
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
Squirm88

Re: Registering a Boat in GA or FL??

Post by Squirm88 »

If you plan to keep the boat in Florida longer than 90 days, I believe it has to be registered in Florida. Just something to think about if you plan to leave it at the coast. Not sure how this would be enforced.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

The way it says at the tag office is where the boat stay's most of the year you have to have that state tag!
drucker

Post by drucker »

Cheaper in Ga.
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

According to the law, a boat is to be registered in the state of principal use. . . as long as it is currently registered in your name in any state you will be fine.
jzimmer

Post by jzimmer »

I tried to register a older boat (1975) in Flordia and everytime I took what I was I was told at the courthouse in Perry it was not what they needed So I gave up and registred it in my home town in Georgia even though the boat stays at my place in Keaton 8 months out of the year
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

I am planning on keeping her in Georgia both ways!! That Franklin County tag was way, way, way over priced!! :smt005 My take on the FC tag situation, they needs more money, a lot of money!! :thumbdown:
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

GA taxes have changed when it comes to a tag. A very generous man sold me his old hunting camper for $1.00. The value of the camper was tremendous. Luckily I bought it after my birthday. They wanted almost $5k in taxes for the tag. I was lucky due to the fact that I sold it before my next b day (that's when we pay for tag taxes in GA) which prevented me from having to pay taxes for basically a gift! Taxes are paid on things when bought new. This infuriates me! Told this story to a fairly close friend of mine. He pointed out something to me that I never noticed. Any trailer pulled in GA has TL as the beginning number on the plate. Camper, boat, utility trailer, etc. He uses one tag for all. The tag is for an old worthless utility trailer $12 a year. Barley big enough to hold a small lawn mower. If a LEO runs the plate, it is registered to him. He never would question it. He said to just make sure the brake (tail) lights work! He likes his beer! Half the people on this forum will scorn what he does and the other half will say EUREKA! I personally am to scared to try it! But for the record, my dad just repowered his boat w a 300 etech, they hit him w about $4k in GA taxes! Double taxation! Unreal!
TurtleCat