Where To Fish Suggestions?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scout-Fisher

Where To Fish Suggestions?

Post by Scout-Fisher »

Can anybody offer any suggestions on what's currently biting and where to fish (other than the water) in the Panacea area? Planning on taking my father tomorrow am. I haven't been on the water in about a month. Was wandering if its even worth going with all the recent rain and how stained is the water? The forecast for tomorrow is calling for winds out of the east and from past experience an east wind can make it hard fishing.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Where To Fish Suggestions?

Post by Steve Stinson »

If you are in a boat, I would try adjacent to the creek mouths. As the fish start feeling this colder weather, that is where they are going head. You might try Spring Creek. You also need to find clean water. If the freshwater and trash are washing down from the recent rain storms go to the creeks that do not reach as far inland and fish the holes at the mouth and first couple of bends.

I don't know how shallow you can go, but the bayou / oyster bars that are sort of behind (North of) Wakulla Beach should hold some fish too. Either of these areas should be somewhat sheltered from the wind.
Scout-Fisher

Post by Scout-Fisher »

how hard of a run is it to where you are talking about from Rock Landing Marina? I typically fish Piney island to the west.
jbearden

Post by jbearden »

I'm pulling the kayak down to Panacea tomorrow morning as well. Not sure if I'll go to bottoms rd. or levy bay. Been to bottoms a few times but never been to levy or wakulla beach.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

Wakulla Beach is a long way from Panacea. You could go down the road east of the Ochlockonee River and put in at a launch there, can't think of the name of it. It's a small launch. That would put you a ways up the river, and you'd have very little motoring to do and not quite the waves. Tomorrow is passable. Sunday would seem to be out.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Mo Redd wrote:Wakulla Beach is a long way from Panacea. You could go down the road east of the Ochlockonee River and put in at a launch there, can't think of the name of it. It's a small launch. That would put you a ways up the river, and you'd have very little motoring to do and not quite the waves. Tomorrow is passable. Sunday would seem to be out.
Go down Surf Road to Ro Ho Rd. and there's a ramp at the end of the road.
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Rohoe is a nice ramp but very little parking and no way to turn around with a trailer. Try the ramp at Levy Bay. good parking and a turnaround area. With a small boat, kayak or canoe any tide is ok but if launching a boat of any size stick to a higher tide. The creeks all around the bay are good for redfish and the area is protected from wind.
Scout-Fisher

Post by Scout-Fisher »

Fished Saturday around Piney and caught lots of redfish just under the slot in the am till about lunch. Then went east and fished a few flats. They were holding trout 10 - 13 inches. The water was stained but still managed to catch fish.