Econfina Water Level

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

countrycorners

Econfina Water Level

Post by countrycorners »

Sooo....
How do you know when there is enough water in the river to launch??
I checked the tide chart the other day and went down a couple hours after low tide.
There wasn't enough water to float a Kayak!
Later on I check the forecast and found there were winds of 20 knots from the north that apparently keeps the water from coming in.
Anyone have some rules of thumb ????
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Econfina Water Level

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I have a 19' Kenner and for me 1.5' of positive tide when I'm planning going out and coming in. But a strong north wind throws a wrench in the works. I can get in and out a 1' but prefer 1.5'. When in doubt I launch at Keaton or St Marks fort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

In the winter, with NORTH WIND THAT HARD , might better call the store. sometimes it doesnt matter low or high tide, water just does'nt come in! If you show up and the last piling of dock is barely in water ya probably aint gettin out of the mouth w/o a kayak! Thats my experience anyway!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

You should be OK if the ramp has water over the lower end of it and you don't see the rocks right across from the landing. But take it slow and watch the depth finder, there's shallow spots and a big rock just past the houses and no wake zone going out. Hang to the right when you pass that zone and the river gets deeper in the center. I idle going past the tripod and raise motor up, it's very shallow and lots of sand bars. If you see crab trap markers and the trap is underwater, there's about 1 ft. water there. And I don't try it without at least a 0.5 low tide. Just my .02. :wink:
Yours in the South
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Exactly what Hit-n-Miss said with the 1.5' a good general sanity level and 1' being a "pushing it if the fishing is red hot" level. :wink: :lol:

Problem you run into (and you did) is that winter tides tend to run shallower than predicted, ESPECIALLY with north winds, and summers often run a bit higher when we're getting decent rain and winds out of the southwest.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I'm thinking if the low tide is below .5 and wind is 10 or higher from the N, I ought to do some double checking before I drag My Carolina Skiff down there.
Low tide last Friday was -.3, wind close to 20 knots from the North.
I've heard stories over the years of folks not being able to get back up the river to the ramp because of low water but I've never seen it in Person before.
In the opposite direction: I've been told that sometimes the wind comes from the south and will cause the water to cover the parking lot at High tide.
Anyway, I moved up here from Vero Beach years ago. We had tides down there in the Indian River but there was always enough water to get where you wanted to go. The sandy bottom was very forgiving too, should the water get too skinny.
Thanks again.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Launched there Saturday for the Club tournament. -.75 tide at 7 with 10-15MPH N wind. I launched at 8. Only other boat was a 21 foot glass boat that mentioned they may want to follow me. I never saw them hit the throttle. Definitely shallow, but I have a tested line and the Xpress had no problem getting out. Plenty of water once I got out.

Unfortunately the water was dark and the fish uncooperative. Still a beautiful Econfina morning.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

too low for me :roll: :-?
[attachment=6]IMG_0759.jpg[/attachment][attachment=6]IMG_0759.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=5]IMG_0760.jpg[/attachment][attachment=5]IMG_0760.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4]IMG_0761.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3]IMG_0762.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]IMG_0763.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_0763.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_0764.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0764.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMG_0765.jpg[/attachment]