Thinking about making the move to Wakulla Cnty

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HewesMan

Thinking about making the move to Wakulla Cnty

Post by HewesMan »

Give me some of the Pros and Cons.

We currently line on the NE side of town. We want to move into a 4/2 house on close to an acre lot, but for a decent house in a decent part of town looks like it can easily cost upwards of 325k for not. Seems like if we wanted .5 acres or less that would open up a lot but I don't want to sacrifice the yard size too much. Even contemplated bulding but it is very hard if not impossible to find a decent lot to build on for under 100k, then you have at a minimum of $125 sq/ft in building costs.

So that brings me to Crawfordville.

I can get at least a 2 acre lot for well under 50k. There are some really good builders down there for a little over $100 sq/ft. I really don't mind the country living style that people down there have since that is what I was raised on. I know I am sacrificing some places to eat, but I am a lot closer to the coast :D . Property taxes would be less. Their schools might not be quite as good as some here but I really think they are just under the quality of education that Leon County provides. From what I have talked to people that have lived there for a while, it has really started to grow over the last 10+ years for the better with some really good neighborhoods down there now.

What is everyone's thoughts? Pros/Cons? Things in Tally are just so expensive now that we are growing a family.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Re: Thinking about making the move to Wakulla Cnty

Post by Scoop Sea »

I moved to Wakulla County in the 80's and have hunted/fished here since the 70's. It's a great place to live. Personally, I liked it better down here 30 years ago and the growth has been tremendous but not necessarily a positive attribute IMHO. The schools are good and you can see your teachers in Church, a plus. Cost of living is similar to Leon County. Yes, you are closer to the coast, a positive, but if you work in Tally, you will be spending a lot of drive time on the road during the week. Unfortunately, infrastructure has not caught up with growth. You are correct, unless you want good seafood/bbq, you will be heading into Tally for nicer restaurants, etc.

I don't know if that helps you out or not, hope it does.

Have a good one.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

I love living in Wakulla, we have been down here for 10 years and find it to be a great, safe area to live. My office is in Midtown and it takes me 30 minutes to drive in. The elementary and middle schools are great, high school is decent. Restaurants suck bad but the trade out by having the saltwater close is worth it. I just bought a 2 Acre lot in a established neighborhood for 27K, so the prices are much better than Tallahassee.
If you want to PM me I can let you know what area is better than others.

Liam Callaghan
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Crawfordville always seems nice when I'm driving through it. And it has a great-big 'ol Wal Mart, too! I live in Moultrie, which is not a real big town, either. But I wouldn't trade it for a big city.We have to go out of town to do anything fun or get a decent meal, so it's a trade-off like some of the others said. I'd love to be closer to the coast.
Yours in the South