Lighthouse boat ramp

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Boudreux

Lighthouse boat ramp

Post by Boudreux »

How is the ramp at the st. Marks lighthouse? I usually put in at the state park but I will have the baby girl with me so I'm trying to shorten my ride. Is there plenty of parking? I've heard it's pretty shallow. My boat has a 10-12" draft so I figure I'll be safe. Thanks in advance
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Lighthouse boat ramp

Post by onefishtwofish »

Ramp is fine. Only issue is at low tide. You will be fine coming out. Just watch where it necks down right as you come out of the mouth of the basin. There is a huge curb at the end that can be an issue at low tide. Believe the signs that warn of the curb. They are placed right where it is, so you can tell. I launch there with my motor up until I know I am safe.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHAT ONEFISH SAID, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THERE IS WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF THE CANAL IT IS REALLY SHALLOW JUST BEFORE YOU GET INTO THE GULF. I ALWAYS RAISE MY KICKER IF IT IS WITHIN 1 HOUR OF LOW TIDE AND JUST IDLE OUT FOR MAYBE 50 FT INTO THE GULF. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILLAR WITH THE JETTIE THAT IS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE CANAL IT IS BEST TO GO STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CANAL TO THE FIRST RED BOUY, THEN MAKE YOUR TURN EAST IN THE RIVER CHANNEL.. THERE IS A LONG OYSTER BAR THAT COMES OUT FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE, YOU CAN SEE THE PILEING OVER NEXT TO SHORE, AT ABOUT MID TIDE THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO CATCH TROUT AND RED FISH. THE BAR GOES ALMOST OUT TO THE RIVER CHANNEL.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Only other issue with the ramp is that there isn't a dock to tie up to right @ the ramp. You have to launch & motor over to the dock to tie up. If you don't have help launching (someone else driving the boat or parking the truck) it makes for a lot of walking.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

I launch from there 2 or 3 times a week and rarely any issue getting in and out. With that said, winter time is a different story with negative low tides. If launch at low (or near low tide), back in slowly. If you feel your are bumping into something backing up, STOP and either push your boat off by hand or go back to the Fort. Ive seen guys jump over that 6" curb at the back of the ramp and it required a lot of man power in the water trying to lift the trailer up to get back over the curb. One last thing, make sure you wear shoes with a rubber sole. I wear crocks and they work fine. That ramp can be very slick