Sheephead newb advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampcreek

Sheephead newb advice

Post by Swampcreek »

I have never targeted sheephead, but i want to. I have heard about scraping off a piling and waiting. Any advice on how/where to target them? How to set up my lines?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Sheephead newb advice

Post by silverking »

Check your email.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

Silverking, I'd sure like to know also. Fishing from 14ft jon 9.9. Thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Told him about the Flats Pro Seminars, where we cover all kinds of topics like this.

Use a light-wire, short shank hook tied directly to 20-pound leader. Depending on depth/current, you either pinch on a split shot sinker or add a small egg sinker to the main line and a small barrel swivel as a stopper. If you're fishing around a lot of rubble or rocks, you can tie several rigs in advance and wrap them around a piece of cardboard with slits cut in it so you'll have quick replacements.

For bait, small to medium live shrimp work well. Or you can gather fiddler crabs on low tide mud/sand flats. Sheepshead are notorious light biters. If you feel a subtle tap, set the hook. Others like to add a small piece of rubber tubing to the bend of the hook ahead of the bait to keep them biting longer.

If you carry a hoe or rack (or a piece of metal conduit), use it to scrap the barnacles off the pilings to act as chum. Another way to attract 'em is to save your eggs shells, break them into small pieces and use them for chum if you're stationary. Sheepshead like rocky jetties like Bob Sikes Cut, plus bridge and dock pilings, but you can also find them regularly in the tidal creeks hanging around limestone rocks.

Hope this helps. They fight hard and are very tasty to eat since their diet consists of crustaceans.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Interesting about the egg shells, never heard that. I think they are the most underrated inshore fish. Taste great and pull hard
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Thanks for the info, silverking. I've only been able to catch them here and there while targeting reds and other fish, but I never really knew how to target them. They are definitely a good pull and a good eating fish!
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

Thanks silverking. Could you send me a list of the flats pro seminars?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

rebel10 wrote:Thanks silverking. Could you send me a list of the flats pro seminars?
Here's the link to my earlier post with the schedule and details. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=40389