kastking

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

kastking

Post by JIm Smith »

sis anyone familiar with the KastKing line of reels. the price is great and I have told that they are great
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: kastking

Post by Steve Stinson »

I am not familiar with them, but was looking on line yesterday for an ultra light spinning combo to use in the pond behind my house. Their ultra light came back as one of the top rated.

I've recently discovered that we have specks in our pond, so now I need a 6lb. combo to get after them.

- Steve Stinson
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Solid reels, fairly priced for the quality, not necessarily for the "name brand/status conscious (Shimano, Yeti, etc.)" crowd:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... -out-there
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

KASTKING BLADE 3000 $54 (free shipping $20+)
10 (shielded stainless steel) +1 bearings 5.1:1 gear ratio 8/170 10/140 line capacity 22 lb max (carbon fiber) drag stainless steel main shaft all metal body 9.7 oz.
1 year warranty
http://www.eposeidon.com/kastkingtm-bla ... 8-to-59-98

Shimano Nasci $99
4+1 bearings 6.2:1 gear ratio 8/170 10/140 line capacity 20 lb max drag 8.8 oz.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

just ordered stealth bait caster let you know how it does.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Steve Stinson wrote:
I've recently discovered that we have specks in our pond, so now I need a 6lb. combo to get after them.

- Steve Stinson
I know a guy :wink:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

2Salty wrote:Solid reels, fairly priced for the quality, not necessarily for the "name brand/status conscious (Shimano, Yeti, etc.)" crowd:

Just because some pople like quality or have a brand they trust doesn't mean they are " name brand status conscious". No reason to be a hater
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

SC those are sweet looking rods ,sometime when I'm in enemy territory I am going to look you up
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Salty Gator wrote:
2Salty wrote:Solid reels, fairly priced for the quality, not necessarily for the "name brand/status conscious (Shimano, Yeti, etc.)" crowd:

Just because some pople like quality or have a brand they trust doesn't mean they are " name brand status conscious". No reason to be a hater
Not being a "hater" on anyone. (But, as the saying goes, "If the shoe fits then wear it".)

Yes, some (probably many) people like quality. And yes, some people have a brand they trust.

Some people realize there are some major brand name manufacturers that thrive on "status" then take advantage of consumers with prices that are inflated: their quality really isn't significantly better than some other competitive products, even competitive products at lower pricing. Some people realize there are alternative products available at a lesser cost that serve their intended purpose as well as, if not better than, the over-priced major name brand.

I can't recall losing any fishing time or any fish because of my less than $100 reels and less than $100 rods. Never lost any fish or game to spoilage in my relatively cheaper coolers. Haven't yet experienced anyone out-fishing me because they were wearing fishing apparel or sunglasses that cost more than the "the run-of-the-mill" generic stuff I wear or use.

You, not I, said "some pople like quality or have a brand they trust doesn't mean they are " name brand status conscious". I said no such thing. I said, not necessarily for..." .

My Daddy used to joke, "Some people ARE cattlemen. Other people like to dress up LIKE cowboys. Oh, well, I guess if you aren't a real cattleman you can still try to look like a cowboy."

Likewise, I've crossed the paths of some with high-dollar major brand name reels/rods, watercraft, equipment, apparel, accessories, etc. - and they couldn't even catch a cold, let alone fish! I have a rough idea of what their gear cost. But by golly, they sure "look" like anglers.

I'm rarely impressed by the gear - but I can be impressed with the catch.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

as a 6th gen cracker I like cow hunter better but I agree with you 2salty
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Great thread! :thumbup: I hadn't heard of Kastking until now but after reading a LOT of reviews, I ordered one too. If it's half as good as they claim, it should perform as well or better than my Stradics and at 1/5 the price.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

I'm good with "cow hunter", Jim :) Lots of folks don't know or realize that cow hunters were the true origin of the term (whip) "cracker".

This spinning reel from KASTKING is a "beast":

KASTKING Kodiak Saltwater Spinning Reel
http://www.eposeidon.com/kk-kodiak-reel

Nearly 40 lbs of drag starting with 2000 series size at 10 oz.+ :
"SALTWATER TOUGH - New special design aluminum spool and rotor structure prevent water and sand from getting in and are exceptionally strong yet light weight. Saltwater ready."

starting at $80 with free shipping (over $20)

[compare to Penn Battle II 3000 5+1 bearings 15lbs max drag 12.3 oz $110]
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

2Salty wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

Not being a "hater" on anyone. (But, as the saying goes, "If the shoe fits then wear it".)

Yes, some (probably many) people like quality. And yes, some people have a brand they trust.

Some people realize there are some major brand name manufacturers that thrive on "status" then take advantage of consumers with prices that are inflated: their quality really isn't significantly better than some other competitive products, even competitive products at lower pricing. Some people realize there are alternative products available at a lesser cost that serve their intended purpose as well as, if not better than, the over-priced major name brand.

I can't recall losing any fishing time or any fish because of my less than $100 reels and less than $100 rods. Never lost any fish or game to spoilage in my relatively cheaper coolers. Haven't yet experienced anyone out-fishing me because they were wearing fishing apparel or sunglasses that cost more than the "the run-of-the-mill" generic stuff I wear or use.

You, not I, said "some pople like quality or have a brand they trust doesn't mean they are " name brand status conscious". I said no such thing. I said, not necessarily for..." .

My Daddy used to joke, "Some people ARE cattlemen. Other people like to dress up LIKE cowboys. Oh, well, I guess if you aren't a real cattleman you can still try to look like a cowboy."

Likewise, I've crossed the paths of some with high-dollar major brand name reels/rods, watercraft, equipment, apparel, accessories, etc. - and they couldn't even catch a cold, let alone fish! I have a rough idea of what their gear cost. But by golly, they sure "look" like anglers.

I'm rarely impressed by the gear - but I can be impressed with the catch.
The shoe fits, you are a hater
I have 2 stradics still in the rotation that are almost 20 years old, do your pflugers last that long? And you don't buy a yeti because it will keep your game and fish fresh longer. You get it to stand on and because it will last a LIFETIME. Since I got my boat in o4 I've gone through 5 drink coolers and 3 fish coolers. I got a good deal on a yeti and got one. Now it's 2 years old and looks brand new. I didn't buy it so you would think I was cool, I bought it because I was tired or replacing coolers every 2 years. Now there are cheaper knock offs lke rtic, but they weren't around then. There is nothing wrong with looking for a new god product and giving it a try, but there is no reason to insinuate that status has anything to do with buying quality. Some people like to save up and buy quality. Some people like to buy cheap and replace. Also, some anglers are harder on their equipment and may need better components ( some anglers spend all day casting and retrieving lures and some cast out a piece of bait and let it sit for hours.) Point being, just because it works for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.
Mr. Jim, sorry for the detail, I hope they turn out to be good reels, please give us a product review when you can.
Last edited by Salty Gator on January 10th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

JIm Smith wrote:SC those are sweet looking rods ,sometime when I'm in enemy territory I am going to look you up
yes sir please do!!

----------

I'm interested in hearing about how well these reels hold up. I can only speak on brands that I've used in the past and I'm the type that likes the name brand/quality stuff... sue me. I'm also a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I can't speak on these kastkings vs my ci4's but they do sound like a "quality" reel from reading about it. But, like SG mentioned. Will these reels be in rotation on the boat 20 years from now? Who knows? We can't knock anything until we try it.

2salty, you're right. These fish could care less about what we are fishing with. I completely agree. I believe the game of golf could be played using a 4 iron the entire time by using it as a driver, iron, and putter but that's why other club's where designed because of different situations and applications. Does that make sense? There are plenty of people that use one rod and one reel to throw everything under the sky. There isn't no real wrong way to fish. Some ways I personally believe will produce better results.

At the end of the day we can't judge someone because of what they look like or what gear and boat they have. There is no "wrong way" when it comes to fishing IMO.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Well said Dom