Repower of a Hewes LT-20

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Repower of a Hewes LT-20

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My fishing buddy old 200 blew up. What 4stroke would you recommend for this boat? Not looking to be a speed demon. Just able to cruise at 30 with good fuel economy and plane out easily. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FishWithChris

Re: Repower of a Hewes LT-20

Post by FishWithChris »

How about the new Evinrude E-Tec G2? Customize his colour options to the hull colour! :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I know this is going to turn into a Ford vs. Chevy debate, but I would go with Mercury or Yamaha.

Ask Yale Ford on this forum how well those new Etec's hold up.....
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Mainly wondering about size. Say for instance would a Suzuki 140 4 stroke work well. Or would a 150(brand name here) make a big difference? Anyone been on one of these boats with 4 strokes that can say how performed?

Hit-n-Miss

Repower of a Hewes LT-20

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Also the boat is like a 1990s model.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I just looked up a pic of that boat. It reminds me of Greenbone's boat, and he repowered not too long ago. He is retired now and would probably take your buddy for a ride if you get in touch with him. At the very least, he could give you some real-world performance numbers. I believe he repowered with a Yamaha.

If you need Greenbone's cell number call me at 509-3116.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That Yamaha F200 is a bad dude!

Team Jolly Mon
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Weight is going to be the biggest factor. That hull was designed before four-strokes became standard and the extra weight will tip the center of gravity and affect draft, performance and probably self-bailing/drainage.

Greenbone had an issue with switching from a two-stroke to four on his boat and others have as well. Need to look at the max horsepower rating, what engines were available originally and then try to match up as close as possible with the weight and horsepower. That may mean dropping down in power but with the better injection systems now, it may not be much of a sacrifice. If the boat is equipped with a poling platform, that may be a factor as well, since the larger four-stroke blocks are taller and wider. May hit on the cowling or not allow full range of motion for steering.

The newer four-strokes are lighter, have better torque/hole shot and improved fuel economy vs. the first or second generation engines.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

It does have a poling platform. Comparing the weight of old 200 and the 140suzuki is almost the same.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Steve Stinson wrote:I just looked up a pic of that boat. It reminds me of Greenbone's boat, and he repowered not too long ago. He is retired now and would probably take your buddy for a ride if you get in touch with him. At the very least, he could give you some real-world performance numbers. I believe he repowered with a Yamaha.

If you need Greenbone's cell number call me at 509-3116.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
. Do you know what he put on it? Would like to know what trouble he had. Thanks.

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I would consider any motor out there these days but the warranty would come into play big time. I know Evinrude is offering a 10 year warranty. that offers expires in march I do believe but, could be wrong. Suzuki's are nice motors and the reviews are great, love mine. but those Yamaha sho's are very nice. I would go with a 175-200 sho and be done.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Hit N Miss - I sent you an I.M. with Greenbone's cell number. Give him a call and I am sure he will be willing to chat with you or your buddy. :thumbup:
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Thanks guys.

dropaline

Post by dropaline »

post your question on the hewes forum mbgfourm.com great bunch of guys with good answers p.s. i have a 16 ft 1997 bayfisher,just put a new 90 yamaha on it evreybody said too heavy nope just right.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

dropaline wrote:post your question on the hewes forum mbgfourm.com great bunch of guys with good answers p.s. i have a 16 ft 1997 bayfisher,just put a new 90 yamaha on it evreybody said too heavy nope just right.
thanks will do.