St. Joe Bay suggestions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

St. Joe Bay suggestions

Post by hardhead »

The fam is heading down to cape San blas at the end of this week for some fishing and a little beach time. Anybody on here fish st joe often enough to offer up some suggestions as to where to concentrate my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Re: St. Joe Bay suggestions

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Pm chalk he would know. If he will tell you. Lol

hardhead

Post by hardhead »

St joe bay. Thanks H-N-M I'll try that. Gotta love those super secrete guys. Couldn't reply right to your msg. Not sure what's up with my app. Hope this works.

hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Hey h-n-m, I tried to send him a pm but when it asked me for the contact I couldn't find chalk. How do I send a pm?

Hit-n-Miss

St. Joe Bay suggestions

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

hardhead wrote:Hey h-n-m, I tried to send him a pm but when it asked me for the contact I couldn't find chalk. How do I send a pm?

. Have not seen a post from him in a while. He may not be on here anymore. But you should be able to search up posts about St Joe bay. I have never fished there so I'll be no help. If not call Pressnells or I think it's Blue water outfitters over there and you should get some ideas.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

If you ever need tips for Ecofina or Keaton I can help you better. I read some old posts on St Joe. There is good info there. Just search titles St Joe bay.

redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Go to Indian Pass Raw bar, take right & put in landing on left. You will be right across fromSt Vincent Island. Look toward shore from ther &'you'll see oyster bars. Fish out from those. Also, down island past half way or so, there's a inlet that should hold reds. Be careful,but make sure to enjoy some oysters & beverages at the raw bar
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've got a buddy that guides down there and he said the fish are behind Blacks island right now on the flats. there's a lot of old "bomb creators" over there around the island. we've always had good luck on that side as well. good luck!

if all else fails, drag up and go to the Indian pass and fish in big buoy(it should be labeled on your GPS)..
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Awesome guys. Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it goes

bbb

Post by bbb »

hardhead wrote:Awesome guys. Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it goes

Send me a report on the trout and red bite. I'll be at Presnells the 6th-9th. I'm sure general floating across the grass flats will produce but they may want one bait over another.
hops

Post by hops »

Like the guy mentioned earlier behind Blacks Island in the potholes. Grubs, topwater etc. mostly for trout about everything is in the mix. Closer to Blacks island the better. You can troll for Spanish I liked Windmark beach to the bridge at the canal. PSJ can be tricky and at times hard to fish. I lived there for a while I prefer the dirtier water of Carrabelle or Apalachicola. I use lighter line and leaders in PSJ because of clarity. I also like my topwater Super Spooks black or bone white. If fishing Indian Pass it can be a dangerous launch.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks guys for all your help. We had a great time. Didn't kill the fish but did some good exploring. Caught all our trout behind blacks island around the peak of the high tide. Using root beer and pearl white gulp on jigs and under corks. Tons of shortys and a few keepers mixed in. Once I figured out how to find the potholes and we started targeting them specifically we tied into much bigger fish, but couldn't seem to keep them on the line at the boat. Sometimes because the line would break or because a 9yr old and a 11yr couldn't set the hook well enough. But clearly the potholes at the top end peak of the high tide was the trick. Tried trolling for Spanish a little but my crew got a little chilly with the wind coming across the bay, so that didn't last long. ImageFound one barely legal flounder for my 9yr old. Fun place to fish. ImageImage

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Fished there a weekend last April and like you did a lot of exploring and learned a lot and was amazed at how pretty the water is over there, clear and fun to fish

zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150