Panama City Beach "The Pass"

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Boudreux

Panama City Beach "The Pass"

Post by Boudreux »

Headed to Panama City fishing this weekend and have never fished there from a boat. A buddy told me to fish the east bay as he has been catching some reds over there. The PCB fishing report says the bite is good in the "Pass". Would that be the pass that leads from St. Andrews bay to the gulf? Any tips on where to put in or where to wet a line over there would be greatly appreciated. I will be fishing out of a 19' bay boat. Thanks in advance
Limitless

Re: Panama City Beach "The Pass"

Post by Limitless »

I fished there last Thursday, but mostly offshore for Kings. There was a lot of action in St Andrews pass with folks catching Reds. Trolling spoons or bucktails in the trough just off the beach was producing Lady Fish and a few Spanish Mackerel and Blues. If the sea is calm the close in public numbers may provide some non-Red Snappers and Black Sea Bass. A stop at Half Hitch tackle shop on Thomas Drive will get you the latest info on what's your best opportunities. You can usually catch pin fish for live bait on the grass flats east of the pass on small hooks tipped with squid. Maybe some Trout and Reds too. Good luck and post up a report.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Panama City Beach "The Pass"

Post by Juan »

The place on the east side of the pass Limitless mentioned is known as the "Kiddie pool" it's next to Shell island and as he said, it's a good spot to pick up pinfish for bait. It's also a good flounder hole but it's really busy on the weekends with tourists on rental pontoon boats and the Shell Island sight seeing boats... if you fish in there beware of the sand bar between it and the pass. The best way to get in there is to run to the end of the east jetties and then follow them back into the Kiddie pool. The traffic is going to be heavy in the pass too and I've never found fishing there worth the effort. For trout and reds, I'd fish either around Shell Island or go west from the pass into Grand Lagoon. I found Spanish in East Bay and up to the Hathaway Bridge. The boat docks on the way to Hathaway bridge are good for Mangrove snapper and small grouper if you use live bait. The closest place to launch near the pass will be at St. Andrews park but you have to pay to get in there. I normally launch at City Marina on Harrison Ave. It's the best ramp in Panama City will tons of parking but you have to run about 4 miles across the bay to get to the pass. Good luck and watch out for the tourists.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/