Day one Ecofina trip. Fri 5th.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Lavon Daniel and I got on the water around 8:30 and headed out the river. We poked our nose out the river and found it was white capping. But it was not unfishable. We headed south and started fishing. Image. Caught this keeper pretty quick and thought was gonna be an ok day. But many shorts later. Did not seem that it would be the case. Image. Daniel hooked up with a nice fish and it turned out to be a short cobia. We fished a little while longer and the wind really got up. We decided to run in at 10:30 and man what a wet ride into the wind and quartering seas. We got soaked. Saw Rhtfish at the landing going out as we got in. Talked to him for a minute. Got back to the house and got some dry clothes. We were hungry so we decided to run to perry and get some lunch. Drove by Deals and since had heard of it decided to turn around and go back to eat. Man what a good meal. Ran into Welby there(good to see ya) Was sitting there feeling nice and full when "cotton eyed joe" comes on in the restaurant. Were looking at each other like what's going on. Then this lady starts walking around playing this odd homemade instrument. People in the place are clapping and stomping. We were perplexed. But it was fun to watch and made us laugh. Dinner and show who knew. After that we hit Wilson's. Bought some stuff and got raffle ticket for the boat in the Perry Optimist tournament. Then headed back to Ecofina for a nap. Lol. Hoping for better weather tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Day one Ecofina trip. Fri 5th.

Post by zload »

Keaton Beach wind gauge recorded gusts of 22-29 knots and consistent winds in the low 20s this morning so I'm sure it was rocking and rolling.

From what I have been told by a Taylor county native Cotton Eyed Joe and the "stick" are a long time tradition at Deal's but it is a little exciting the first time you hear/see it :o

Might make the fried shrimp taste a little better too :lick:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Great to see you this am HIT-N-MISS! We had no misconceptions about being able to fish but added another chapter to our book of WE WENT OUT ANYHOW, an ongoing multiyear project. With the high water and wind blowing in we worked through east cut and then worked our way slowly out to a point and tried to run boat into grass but it kept blowing out. :D Dr. Tom has one red hit spoon but could not hang on in the wind. The electric motor would make no headway. We idled back toward river taking plenty of water over us in spray. Fooled around quite a while in the river watching the ospreys watch us. Amazing birds!
FINEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WALK THROUGH THOSE DOORS! Deal's in known far and wide. First time seeing the "pogo stick"
played is memorable for sure! I've been seeing it since Zoe, the current owner, was one of several who played when she was a young teenager and her parents still ran the restaurant. She has worked hard to maintain the tradition of fun and great food. While having dinner there with a group from Econfina a few years ago I actually got up and played with Zoe all over the restaurant. :lol: Leave it to friends to set you up.
Tomorrow is another day and hopefully the wind will subside. The cool weather is really nice!
BEST! :D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

zload wrote:Keaton Beach wind gauge recorded gusts of 22-29 knots and consistent winds in the low 20s this morning so I'm sure it was rocking and rolling.

From what I have been told by a Taylor county native Cotton Eyed Joe and the "stick" are a long time tradition at Deal's but it is a little exciting the first time you hear/see it :o

Might make the fried shrimp taste a little better too :lick:
. It was fun to see. And the shrimp was excellent.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

RHTFISH wrote:Great to see you this am HIT-N-MISS! We had no misconceptions about being able to fish but added another chapter to our book of WE WENT OUT ANYHOW, an ongoing multiyear project. With the high water and wind blowing in we worked through east cut and then worked our way slowly out to a point and tried to run boat into grass but it kept blowing out. :D Dr. Tom has one red hit spoon but could not hang on in the wind. The electric motor would make no headway. We idled back toward river taking plenty of water over us in spray. Fooled around quite a while in the river watching the ospreys watch us. Amazing birds!
FINEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WALK THROUGH THOSE DOORS! Deal's in known far and wide. First time seeing the "pogo stick"
played is memorable for sure! I've been seeing it since Zoe, the current owner, was one of several who played when she was a young teenager and her parents still ran the restaurant. She has worked hard to maintain the tradition of fun and great food. While having dinner there with a group from Econfina a few years ago I actually got up and played with Zoe all over the restaurant. :lol: Leave it to friends to set you up.
Tomorrow is another day and hopefully the wind will subside. The cool weather is really nice!
BEST! :D
. I was surprised to see you heading out. Rhtfish I would have liked to seen you up playing with Zoe. Glad we stopped a Deals. Good food and a good time. Hope to see you again tomorrow. Y'all going out in the am? Weather gotta be better sat than was today.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

We saw Bluespinner back at the house, he came by while we were grilling dinner. Good to see you
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

good talking to ya'll
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Man, that water looks rough in those pictures! :o Surprised yall even made it out. We stopped by Deal's for the first time a few weeks ago, it startled me a bit when Cotton-eyed Joe came on and the girl came out with the stick-thing. I thought at first she was collecting money for the performance. :roll: Good meal, though. Glad yall are safe.
Yours in the South
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

DixieReb wrote:Man, that water looks rough in those pictures! :o Surprised yall even made it out. We stopped by Deal's for the first time a few weeks ago, it startled me a bit when Cotton-eyed Joe came on and the girl came out with the stick-thing. I thought at first she was collecting money for the performance. :roll: Good meal, though. Glad yall are safe.
. In the pics believe it or not it was fishable with the drift sock out. It got way worse. I was confident in the boat but knew we'd get wet, and we did. Deals was good food to me.