Preferred hooks for bottom fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

Preferred hooks for bottom fishing

Post by akasephiroth »

I've used mustad and daiichi hooks for years with no issue but over the last few months I've had some issues. In the size 2/0 and 3/0 hooks I've broken or straighten 6 of these hooks in last 2 trips, the ultra point mustad straighted on 2 occasion and the daiichi have snapped 4 hooks just behind the barb. What is everyone else 4 of these I suspect amberjack as the culprit taking live pin fish on the bottom the other 2 both snapping daiichi 2/0 where hooked on small Chuck's of squid.
StMarksAngler

Re: Preferred hooks for bottom fishing

Post by StMarksAngler »

I've been using Gamakatsu for all my hooks for about 10yrs now, have yet to have one break that I can recall.
bbb

Post by bbb »

StMarksAngler wrote:I've been using Gamakatsu for all my hooks for about 10yrs now, have yet to have one break that I can recall.
Same

Also remember they make light duty and heavy duty hooks of the same size.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

akasephiroth wrote:I've used mustad and daiichi hooks for years with no issue but over the last few months I've had some issues. In the size 2/0 and 3/0 hooks I've broken or straighten 6 of these hooks in last 2 trips, the ultra point mustad straighted on 2 occasion and the daiichi have snapped 4 hooks just behind the barb. What is everyone else 4 of these I suspect amberjack as the culprit taking live pin fish on the bottom the other 2 both snapping daiichi 2/0 where hooked on small Chuck's of squid.
I had similar happen with Gamakatsu hooks. Lost some good fish. I use owner live bait or mutu hooks now
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I started breaking Gamakatsu hooks and switched pretty much to just using trokar hooks now.