Skeg guards

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

Skeg guards

Post by sundown »

Bout three weeks ago I made mention of getting my motor autographed by one of them big ole submerged rocks down east of the lighthouse...

This was second time I'd been in the rocks and although no serious damage did have a small chip in the skeg..along with bending the prop..was planning to replace aluminum prop anyway..

I was going through Bass Pro Shops catalog tonite and looking at the guards built by MegaWare sold under the name SkegPro....Anybody ever had any experience with them or know how they perform on a motor....

I went to MegaWare website and looked at installation procedure...Nothing to it...

Sure would like some input before I order one...........
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sundown, please post a link to the megaware web site.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It is a skeg condom....once you hit a rock, it is suppose to absorb the impact and fall off....Lot of money for something to fall off..Plus if your going 25 mph and you hit a rock in 2 foot of water it's not gonna help.....There are other that would be a better purchase...The one Tom runs on the Key West (yellow one in Florida Sportsman, can't remember the name) and another company from the north makes one, river runner or something like that...They bolt on.....and seem more durable...
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I looked at the megaware skeg guard on the BPS website.

Give Wavel Porter a call at Porter Marine Repair, in Woodville, Fl. Have him make you a lower unit/skeg guard. You won't regret it. 850 421-1490
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

TC, Here's a sister site: http://www.keelguard.com/
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Got It :thumbup:

http://www.keelguard.com/index.htm

Like TC Said- If you want real protection for the lower unit, go see Wavel at Porter Marine. If he posted that invention on the internet, he'd never be able to keep up with the demand. His custom made skegg guards are the absolute best I have ever seen.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

This SkegPro does bolt on.....According to instructions you drive it on the skeg and drill some 3/16" holes and attach with ss bolts...

I saw a 90 Merc like mine in the parking area at Shell Island since then had something like this on it...Looked fairly substantial....I do need to look at the other one before I put one on though....
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Sun Down, I, like those above, strongly recomend giving Wavel a call. He installed his Rock Gaurd on my boat for just north of a hundred bucks and I have already gotten my money back. I have bounced pretty hard off of a many a rock, and am still no worse for the wear, except for a dinged up prop :-D .
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It bolts on but with shear bolts....There supppose to shear upon impact...Somebody take a picture of a Wavel guard and post it... :thumbup:
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Sorry about the poor quality, but I took it at night. I guess you can get the idea. It has a 1/2" stainless rod bent to protect the entire lower unit.

rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

GO SEE WAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will not do any better, and it's only $100 bucks+/-. This is from personal experience! They are wirth the money. I'm fixing to do my 25 hp Yammie.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Planning to see him next week ! and appreciate all the input!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice....Thanks MishFasterson..... :lol: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Be sure to call him and get directions. I got lost down there and spent over 30 minutes trying to find his shop. :hammer: I Asked a passing motorist directions and they just said "follow me.." His shop is located literally "off the beaten path". Don't let the location get you distracted, he does good work and makes an excellent lower unit guard.

:thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.