GPS chart software for Big Bend fishing - recommendations?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

GPS chart software for Big Bend fishing - recommendations?

Post by KarstRanger »

Hi guys - I read the "2 anglers killed in boating accident" article and wondered how much sooner they would have been rescued if they had had a GPS for an accurate position...

As I am continuing to outfit my 20 ft. cabin cruiser for (up to 10 mi. !!) offshore, and now that I have an ICOM M402-S VHF and a good antenna, I am evaluating GPS units to hook up to it for DSC emergency position data, along with getting to known fishing holes.

I am settling on a Magellan Meridian Gold handheld GPS. It is not color, but I just can't justify the cost of color. But, it appears to do everything else I need and will hold at least 64mb SD cards, and I have heard that they will hold bigger cards.

There is a whole lot of mapping software out there available, and if it anything like buying tax, game, or any other, it sure is usually worth trying before you buy.

I will be able to load from my PC to the SD card, or I can purchase pre-loaded cards of charting software.

I would surely appreciate any recommendations for software/cards from those of you who have found charting/mapping software that covers the Big Bend area.

Thanks,
KarstRanger
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Have you already purchased the GPS. If not will you use it for other than fishing, if not the handheld screen is so small, a fixed mount would be much friendlier for fishing, like a Garmin GPS MAP 162 or 172, with bluechart software.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

No, I haven't purchased yet, but I also do metal detecting, so I would want a handheld unit for that too. I was gung ho on the Garmin GPSMAP 76, but this Magellan Meridian has more what I feel I need at a better price too. They both appear to be first class manufactuers.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I have the GPS MAP 76S and swear by it. That device has saved my arse more than once...

For a dual purpose Marine and Land Navitation, I'd go with the GPS MAP 76S

http://www.gpscity.com/gpsmap-76-series.htm
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If you get a garmin mapping unit you can get the Mapsource Bluecharts to go along with it. Bluecharts in my opinion are the best map software going today. If you plan on incorporating a NMEA connection to your VHF then I would suggest getting a cheaper fixed mount like a 162. It comes with everything you need to hook it to your VHF. If you go handheld you'll have to buy anohter cable and have a mount for it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

GPS marine chart software

Post by KarstRanger »

Thanks Tom - I took a close look at the MapSource BlueChart and it does look like the best available right now. A lot of people are selling ver. 6.5, but there is a ver. 7.0 out that goes for the same price (best so far is $105 for the Americas CD).

A question - when you buy the CD, can you only unlock and use part of the maps on the CD? I would want the Gulf sub area, but what if later I wanted to unlock some other sub area on the CD - pay more?

And since I need a Garmin to run it, and want portability for metal detecting, then I am going for a GPSMAP 76C rather than a fixed unit - and I plan to start mowing lawns after regular work to pay for it... ;-)
bait boy

Post by bait boy »

[quote]A question - when you buy the CD, can you only unlock and use part of the maps on the CD? I would want the Gulf sub area, but what if later I wanted to unlock some other sub area on the CD - pay more?

When you get the cd you can only unlock one region ( gulf, from chandulear islands L.A. to tampa bay.) you can however download two two gps units, and buy just a unlock certificate for less than the cd and unlock for any other regions you want. You will also be able to get the
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

Thanks for all the advice on getting a GPS to hook to the VHF/DSC. The BlueCharts mapping software for Garmins is what swung the deal for me. I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 76C.

Got it for $336.06 which includes a $50 rebate that Garmin is offering until July 5. Only $6 shipping too. If you are in the market for one right now, I really researched this and this is a heck of a deal on a handheld color GPS with 115mb internal RAM.

Here's where I got the 76C:

http://www.bestoptionsdirect.com

Now I'm off to find the best price on the BlueCharts CD.