St. Mark's 3/23-3/26 -- A Little Lengthy

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

St. Mark's 3/23-3/26 -- A Little Lengthy

Post by Ron Wilson »

BD: Answering the callout :D

3/23 (Fri): My buddy (Dave) and I arrived at Shell Island shortly after lunch. Got checked in, put gear in the room and headed off for a couple hours. It was going to be a short trip since we were waiting on our boys and one of their friends to arrive. Headed out of the river, making my obligatory stop at one or two of the oyster bars. Picked up a pup red, then headed West. Picked up a couple 16"+ trout, then headed back in. Spoke to a couple folks at the camp and it appeard most who headed West did well.

3/24 (Sat): Didn't have enough room in my boat so we rented a Shell Island boat for the boys for Sat/Sun. Couldn't get anyone to get up and head out at sunrise, so off I went (alone). Same stop by the same oyster bar, same result (pup red). Headed West again and got nothing. Headed back in around 0930 to pick up Dave and the boys. Dave and I make a pretty good run East. Fished Grey Mare/Cobb Rocks area, which included moving in toward shore. Boys fished East flats from 2' to 6' of water. Neither boat produced a keeper, with very few bites between us. After receiving my much deserved counseling from Chalk Saturday night, which included some input from BD (relayed through Chalk) :hammer: , I decided to make some adjustments for Sunday. Side note: after a safety brief with boys on safe boating reminders, which included monitoring the radio, we headed our separate ways. Decided to "check" on the boys and see if they were monitoring the net; realized I did not recharge the batteries in my hand held. My buddy Dave just shook his head.

Saturday's Sunrise:

3/25 (Sun): Started out by myself again early morning. Picked up a 16" trout on the West flats and headed back in to get Dave and the boys by 1000. Thought I had a plan for the day figured out, but apparently Dave and the boys heard talk of spanish mackeral at the camp and organized a mutiny. They informed me that my guide services were lacking and "our plans" were to get in 6'-7' of water and try the spanish. While the boys head to the designated spanish hole, Dave and I stop outside the lighthouse for a looksey. Had barely turned off the motor when about 45 minutes of pretty hot spanish and trout action began. That shut down and we decide to join the boys at the spanish hole. Boys had already boated a couple spanish and once again, we barely had the motor turned off before we were tied up with some nice spanish. We also managed a fat 19+ trout in 7' water. Boys decide to separate and headed back West and picked up two fat 20"+ trout close in and West of Big Pass. Dave and I got in close East of Stoney Bayou.....nothing. Had to have the rental boat in by 5:00, so we called it a day. Final count: 7 spanish to 24" and 7 trout to 22" and one blue.

Couple picks of the day's catch:

3/26 (Mon): More of the same..went out early by myself, came back picked up everyone, then headed back to the spanish hole. Picked up a couple more nice spanish, and couple more fat trout in 7'-8' of water. Had to quit early to return home.

It was great weather all weekend and the fish ultimately cooperated, but the highlight was spending a couple days with the boys.

Thanks to Chalk, JT and BD. Really appreciate your input and patience with my obvious fishing shortfalls.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice report Ron. Glad ya'll found some. :thumbup: Sounds like the Spanish are already thick; cobia and pomps should be here in no time.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

No problem at all, Ron. Glad ya'll had a good time and caught a mess of fish. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now get rid of that handheld and get a good VHF. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice mess of fish, Ron :thumbup: :thumbup:
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Good report, glad ya'll had a good time.
BlueH2OFisherman

Post by BlueH2OFisherman »

Nice report and a great weekend!!
Todd Anderson
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

:thumbup:
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Derfish

Post by Derfish »

Great Post Ron. I was out on Saturday with the "buckshot boat" and had similar luck. Sounds like you and the boys had a great time.

Randy
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Excellent report and It sounds like you boys had a blast.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

Great day :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
tin can