Reel Gurus...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfin
Site Sponsor

Reel Gurus...

Post by Redfin »

I have 2500 Stradic that when there's no tension on the reel and you spin it - it is quiet and smooth, but when you reel in a plug or apply any pressure to the reel it makes a gawd awful noise like sand in the reel grinding... any ideas? new Drag washers perhaps? its less than a year old...

CM
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I have a new stradic 4000 that makes a noise like something is pulling drag when you reel it with plug or some weight on it...I was wondering this past weekend what was making the noise..wondered if it needed oiling or something...
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

my buddy has a 2500 also that does it, i oiled what i could get to witout dis-assembling it past the point of no return for me... i hate to send it back to shimano and loose it for a month or two or have to pay the reel guy at kevins $30 to grease it... but i need to figure it out casue it drives me nuts. :evil:
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Mine made the same noise last time out. I thought I was hearing things. Reel is less than six months old purchased from South Ga. Outdoors in Cairo.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The clicking noise that sounds like drag is drag....tighten it up some and it will go away...If your using braid, it does it more, because of the no stretch.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Don't think It's the drag. My 4000 does it too. quiet as a mouse when reeling in slack line, but even the presure from the lure makes it whine a little on the retrieve. It was the roller bearing on the bail for me. At least on my reel it need oil every other trip or so. Take it completly out and apart. lightly oil it. no heavy grease just oil. maybe yours is that simple.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Barhopr wrote:Don't think It's the drag. My 4000 does it too. quiet as a mouse when reeling in slack line, but even the presure from the lure makes it whine a little on the retrieve. It was the roller bearing on the bail for me. At least on my reel it need oil every other trip or so. Take it completly out and apart. lightly oil it. no heavy grease just oil. maybe yours is that simple.
I'll use yours while you work on mine.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

:beer:
Last edited by Redfin on March 29th, 2007, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Chalk wrote:The clicking noise that sounds like drag is drag....tighten it up some and it will go away...If your using braid, it does it more, because of the no stretch.
no not that... not braid either... it sounds like sand in the bail under any pressure what so ever... grindddddd.... tempted to go buy one, and return this one..

but instead i went and bought another tonight just for the sake of having another 2500........ an excuse to buy another>>>>>
:o
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Hammer wrote:
Barhopr wrote:Don't think It's the drag. My 4000 does it too. quiet as a mouse when reeling in slack line, but even the presure from the lure makes it whine a little on the retrieve. It was the roller bearing on the bail for me. At least on my reel it need oil every other trip or so. Take it completly out and apart. lightly oil it. no heavy grease just oil. maybe yours is that simple.
I'll use yours while you work on mine.
Bring it to me I'll fix it for you. It'll only cost you lunch
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I just had my bearings replaced on the spool, and its quite as a church mouse. Even though they are stainless, they do get bad and start making some noise. I had mine done at Half Hitch but there are some local guys who do it here in Tallahassee area. One fellow over at Kevins and one member on here does it for Jerry's. I fished mine quite a bit and had them replacedd at 1 year mark. I would guess that a normal fishermen will have to replace them one every year or two. They make ceramic bearings now also. Some people are switching to those on baitcaster to get 30% more distance on their cast.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Barhopr wrote:Don't think It's the drag.
Read slowly :lol:
sundown wrote:I have a new stradic 4000 that makes a noise like something is pulling drag when you reel it with plug or some weight on it...I was wondering this past weekend what was making the noise..wondered if it needed oiling or something...
Seachaser

It is the winding bearing..

Post by Seachaser »

It doesn't take much to rust the bearing where the bail flips. I can't remember the name, but take out, soak in solvent and drop of oil will fix it. Pay special attention to the way the cup washers come out. Had all my shimanos do that, but never a daiwa. :lol:
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/S ... 570387.pdf

On my repair ticket the bearing that was replaced was the 7801

Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

would the roller bearing, on the sid eo fthe baail that feeds the line on make a noise liek im describing you think?? Think i'll take it to the guy up at Kevins... unless you guys suggest soemone else...