SGI 4/11-415

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

OG

SGI 4/11-415

Post by OG »

I got to spend a couple days on the island with the kids for Spring Break and figured I'd give everyone a report as promised. We pulled the RV down so I was limited to shore fishing...and KITE FLYING!

Arrived Wed ~ 3pm. Got the campsite set up and headed to the beach. I slipped off at 7:30 and fished the surf with a nylure till dark-thirty. Nada.

Thurs am I did the family thing. Rode bikes, walked trails, etc. fished the surf that day and caught 3 whiting all day on dead shrimp/sand fleas while the kids played in that COLD water with all the folks from up North.

Fri am I was sitting on the rocks at Sykes Cut as the sun came up. Fish started biting around 7:30. 1/2oz Nylure, yellow skirt with the red deal running thru it tipped with Sand Flea. The Gulp fleas worked just as good as the real thing. I went with a buddy that lives down there and he had to leave early to get to work, we were off the rocks by 8:00 and fish were still being caught. We ended up with 4 and I kept 1 for supper.

Sat am I went the other way. I was at the east end as the sun came up. STIFF SE wind to say the least. I pulled up just around the corner, 1/2 way out of the wind. Fish didn't cooperate. I got broke off 2 different times by spanish. One of the times I swear that right as I got broke off, a spanish jumped up and smiled at me..... Needless to say, I had the place to myself. I told the wife I'd be back to camp in time to make breakfast for the kids that morning. I fished till about 7:45 and headed out so that, hopefully, I wouldn't meet anyone coming in. I remember back before the storm, there were only 2-3 places that you actually needed 4wd. Now, you need it pretty much from the time you get thru the gate to the end.

Sat mid day, the wife had a girlfriend come down. I got her and the kids set up on the beach. Too windy for umbrellas, etc. I left them with a kite, a couple bottles of water, and some beach toys. The wind was straight outta the South so I figured I could tuck in behind the Boy Scout Camp. High tide was 2pm and I started fishing around 12:00. Starting at the ramp, I wadded to the NW side for several hundred yards. 2 spanish caught on the "swimming mullet" Gulp and 2 rat reds caught on a gold spoon.

Dinner Sat night at Finneys, then Breakfast at El Jalisco Sun morning. We got a pretty good light show Sat night when that storm moved thru.

The fishing wasn't banner by any means but I got to try all the usual spots. The kids had a blast, as did the wife and I, and that is what it's all about!
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sounds like everyone had a good time. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

:thumbup: Sweeett
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like a successful family outing. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Nice pompano. :thumbup: :beer: I thought they'd be biting better than that on the island, the cold weather might have them slowed down. Those kids look to be having a blast, I love SGI. sure is pretty.
Yours in the South