Have gas prices affected you?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

SOOOOOO, it affects yer offshore fishin 22? :-D
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

You could go to a kayak and a 4 cylinder small truck and make that dollar laaasst. :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

I still can't believe so many of you drive down from Georgia. That's some serious dedication.

So a follow up question would be do you plan on changing anything to compensate. Like go fishing less often or maybe focus more on inshore than offshore, or downsize to a smaller boat so you can use a smaller tow vehicle?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

No not really, If I am able to go I go...Fuel is cheap here, try buying a couple of liters in Germany....I ain't heard nobody complain about the price of milk, it's about the same :lol:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

With me fishing is the only thing I do. I don't golf,hunt deer,duck or turkey. I don't chase women, play poker, or despite my username, bar hop. So if I spend a little more than most on fishing it's no big deal.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

An Aucilla trip for me cost about 30-40$, gas and bait and snacks.

So if I go in the elitist lure only mode (gulp, no live scrimp), even less $. :-D :lol: 8)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Chalk wrote:I ain't heard nobody complain about the price of milk, it's about the same :lol:
I don't use 30 gallons of milk a week. :x
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Rebbelly wrote:
An Aucilla trip for me cost about 30-40$, gas and bait and snacks.
So if I go in the elitist lure only mode (gulp, no live scrimp), even less $
Ditto for me to. :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Barhopr wrote:With me fishing is the only thing I do. I don't golf,hunt deer,duck or turkey. I don't chase women, play poker, or despite my username, bar hop. So if I spend a little more than most on fishing it's no big deal.
My thoughts exactly. I work for a reason and it ain't because I like it. I like my down time and to get away, piece of mind ain't gonna be cheap no matter what you want to do.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

The Silver Lining of higher gas prices.

Big motor gets less hours so the need for a new motor could be pushed back a couple of years. :smt005
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Gaseous explosions - the gas Almighty $

Post by Capt Reggie »

:smt010 My 6-cylinder truck + boat, motor, trailer rig usually = $100/day includes bait, ice, drinks, food, etc. - not too bad, but still hurts the poor, semi-retired, working man! :smt005 So, once or twice a month is about all I can afford to guide unless rich friends go with me. :smt007 The "working man" friends have to double up on my boat in order to afford these filthy increased gas prices...but, I refuse to quit fishing, right? :lick:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

T Smith wrote:I still can't believe so many of you drive down from Georgia. That's some serious dedication.

So a follow up question would be do you plan on changing anything to compensate. Like go fishing less often or maybe focus more on inshore than offshore, or downsize to a smaller boat so you can use a smaller tow vehicle?
Becuz the Atlantic is a whole lot farther than the panhandle and there ain't many reds in the lakes around here. In the long run, my compensation for the trip is to quit doing it, and move to Florida :P permanently. :P
[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."
Charles
Site Sponsor

Re: Have gas prices affected you?

Post by Charles »

Seachaser wrote: Have gas prices affected you? Has it put a halt or slowed down your fishing?
Not really. Even when I take the car to tow the borrowed Whaler, we're still talking less than 10 gallons, max. And yes, even burning less than 10 gallons, I still feel guilty when I do it this way. Like I'm cheating or something.

I can go using no gas at all, and reasonably expect to limit out, but everbody's probably tired of seeing the pics by now. :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I'm right in line with Barhopr. Fishing is my only hobby. As long as I can afford it, I'll be out there.
What was I supposed to do today?
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Gas prices have not affected my fishing at all. I drove up to South Carolina to fish this past weekend, and I only had to buy two mountain dews to paddle out.