redbone spinning

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

basstired
Site Sponsor

redbone spinning

Post by basstired »

I own a Redbone ML spinning rod, which is well made and carries a life time replacement warranty. The proceeds from the sale go to the Cystic Fibrosis foundation.
The eye configuration on this rod is different from most you see, there are two extra eyes as compared to the Shimano rods I have. I put a new Penn 4000 Siverado on it and I'm getting an over load of line knots. It could be the leader knot going through those extra eyes but it does it with out the the leader also . This is 10lb powerpro. :-?

What I'm getting to is should a spinning rod and reel combination, of like weights, have a certain compatibility set up? :roll:
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I think if you were to go up to 20 lb. PP you wouldn't have near the knots. I've noticed the really small diameter braid lines are notorious for knotting up.
GULP! free since 1970.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I have problems when the spool is overfilled. (take off a little line)

Also at the end of the cast when closing the bail I lift my rod tip clearing any loops from the spool.

Lighter braid has wind knots more often.

When fighting a fish do not reel against the drag if the fish is pulling drag and you are winding you are putting twist in the line.

Anything sound like it would apply?

my .02 WAM out
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

your not alone..
I have 3 stradics on Redbones, love the combo, but for some reason this year im getting more than ususal knots in the line. I spool with 8 or 10 mono... Been using Redbones for several years and never really had this problem.. who knows... maybe soemone will offer advice...
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Wish I could describe this better; but, I actually slow the line down with my fingers before it hits the water...almost like a baitcaster. Don't get any knots and I use 10lb braid alot. Careful though, that stuff can burn. :wink:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Close the bail by hand before starting to wind the handle. Also make sure you have at least an 1/8" between the top of the line on the spool and the spool rim. A couple more guides is a good thing as long as they are aligned on the rod correctly. Most commercial rods don't have enough guides. I have several small spinners with 8 and 10# braid and almost never have problems with knots. If you do the other two things I mentioned and you still have problems, try switching to Suffix braid. It holds it's form better than PowerPro and is much smoother as well.

Nathan
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Periodically "troll" the line behind the boat with nothing on it. Be sure to pay out the majority of the line. This will help to un-twist it
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Nathan wrote:Close the bail by hand before starting to wind the handle. Also make sure you have at least an 1/8" between the top of the line on the spool and the spool rim. A couple more guides is a good thing as long as they are aligned on the rod correctly. Most commercial rods don't have enough guides. I have several small spinners with 8 and 10# braid and almost never have problems with knots. If you do the other two things I mentioned and you still have problems, try switching to Suffix braid. It holds it's form better than PowerPro and is much smoother as well.

Nathan
That ain t it, been doin that forever... still gettin em... (for me that is)
Rocket: you need to show mike how to fish, he was a less than desirable guide outta the aucialla Saturday (it was COOLLDD at 6:30am at the rocks)... JK, he put us on a few... we managed 6 trout - 2 over 21, and 1 red... not to bad based on what i;ve read..
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Redfin wrote:
Nathan wrote:Close the bail by hand before starting to wind the handle. Also make sure you have at least an 1/8" between the top of the line on the spool and the spool rim. A couple more guides is a good thing as long as they are aligned on the rod correctly. Most commercial rods don't have enough guides. I have several small spinners with 8 and 10# braid and almost never have problems with knots. If you do the other two things I mentioned and you still have problems, try switching to Suffix braid. It holds it's form better than PowerPro and is much smoother as well.

Nathan
That ain t it, been doin that forever... still gettin em... (for me that is)
Rocket: you need to show mike how to fish, he was a less than desirable guide outta the aucialla Saturday (it was COOLLDD at 6:30am at the rocks)... JK, he put us on a few... we managed 6 trout - 2 over 21, and 1 red... not to bad based on what i;ve read..
Not too shaby :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends