Fishing West Palm Beach boatless?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Woodburn

Fishing West Palm Beach boatless?

Post by Woodburn »

I'll be in West Palm next week for work and plan to fish a few afternoons. No boat and we dont want to pay for a charter, so any advice would be great.

We're looking at Juno Beach Pier (Lake Worth Pier still under construction)
and
maybe John D McArthur park (although it looks like the park would be better by canoe than wading).

We also may try some bridges for snook if we can find 'em.

Thanks in advance.
-JW
FUTCHCAIRO

FISHING PALM BEACH

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THERE IS A LARGE PARK ON THE CAUSWAY GOING OVER TO LAKE WORTH INLET THAT I FISH WHEN I AM DOWN THAT WAY. IT HAS PUBLIC LAUNCHING , THE ONLY ONE I KNOW OF IN PALM BEACH COUNTY THAT IS FREE. THE PARK IS SURROUNDED BY WATER AND I HAVE CAUGHT SOME NICE JACKS, TARPON, AND A RED FISH OR TWO FISHING FROM THE BULKHEAD. THERE IS ANOTHER PLACE UP AT JUPITER INLET, THEY ALLOW FISHING FROM THE JETTY AND ALL AROUND THE INLET ITSELF. HAVE CAUGHT SOME HUMONGUS SNOOK AT THE JUPITER INLET AT NIGHT USING SOME GOGGLE EYES. YOU CAN CATCH THE GOGGLE EYES AT THE INLET BY USING A SABINKY GOLD HOOK RIG.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
Woodburn

Post by Woodburn »

Thanks Old Man

Here's my report:

We tried a fishing few places after work in West Palm area. One was a seawalled area where a snook hole was suppose to be on Lake Worth. I had two strikes on a lure but we didnt catch anything. We only fished for about 30 minutes. (long day at work)

Wednesday, our fishing day, was interupted by work. We didnt learn the office until 4 instead of 2, but we still made our was to John D McArthur park on Singer Island. I anchored a pompano jig in the surf while my collegue tried fishing up and down the beach. No takers.

We then fished the A1A bridge area which had lots of potential for snook. We ended up catching 4 mangrove snapper on bait fish we cast netted but they were all undersized. Better than nothing I guess.

Next up: Ft Myers in mid-June
I should have a boat hookup.

I'll also be back in West Palm around August. The nice thing is I'll be based in Ft Lauderdale so should have much better fishing opportunities being Im from there.
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

Woodburn,

Sorry that I missed your post. I know of two nice shore fishing opportunities that are far from common knowledge around WPB.

The first is in the ICW at Flagler Museum. There a few docks that you can ease out there. Not sure if they are private property or not.

The next, and most interesting is a place called Annie's Dock on the far northern end of Palm Beach. At the end of N Ocean Blvd there's a dock that sticks out into the inlet. Parking can be a problem, but park illegal if you have to, it's worth at least a look. The water runs clear on the incoming tide and with a cast net you could stock an ornamental saltwater tank in your house for free.

Look for big jacks working the adjacent sea walls. Mangroves should be under the docks and I bet there's snook at night, I just haven't been there then.

This is truly a little known magical spot from Old Florida (but it's currently located on mansion row).

For directions, go to mapquest.com.
Street address: 100 E Inlet Dr
Zip: 33480

Good luck!
Work 'em silly Gators!!