How do you keep fish?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Soccerdad

How do you keep fish?

Post by Soccerdad »

You wise old sages had some pretty darn good anchor and rope ideas last week. How about some advice on keeping fish? I don't generally fish for meat, but keeping a red or a couple of trout here and there has it's place. If I keep an ice bag in the front locker, I'd pretty much have to get out of the boat to go around, release the hatch, open the bag .... and I like the idea of having a bucket with rod holders in the open hatch behind me, rather than an ice bag. What do y'all do?
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey SD,
What some of us use is one of the Sam's Club insulated bags--small one was about $7.59 last time I checked. Very well made and insulated. They also now have a larger version. Found in the frozen food department of Sams--if you are not a member, perhaps you can get a friend who is, to pick up one for you. They also fold so you can just stick them under a bungee on deck, or behind your seat. Small one plenty big enough for the size of fishes generally found inshore.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

Thanks Ap - I'm tempted to steal the one that belongs to the little lady. I searched the Sam's in Albany and the one in Columbus and came up dry. Ended up (for now) with a less insulated Publix cool bag. I'm still lookin'. Or I'll stink up Donna's with fish slime and see if she shoots me dead - or just wings me.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

I hear ya SD,
Here is a pic of the bag folded on deck using the built-in Velcro fasteners.

And here it is opened. I will fill a couple of large Zip-Loc freezer bags with water, stick them in the freezer overnite, and voila--block ice for the next day!

flyrodder

Post by flyrodder »

SD,
If you go to a Wal-Mart (Super would be best), they will sometimes have some in a couple different sizes.
Hope that helps
If there is no fishing or dogs in Heaven, I want to go where there is!