Help for an old beginner

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Don't Horse Him

Help for an old beginner

Post by Don't Horse Him »

I'm late 50's and have fished Econfina a couple of times (25+ years ago with a friend who's health doesn't allow him to get out anymore) . I am to the point in my life I can take some time and and fish but not sure where the best place to start is. I have a 16' Hydro-Sports Key Largo and my buddy has a 24' Sea Pro CC but neither of us has put these boats in this skinny water before. I'd feel more comfortable gettin mine out of one of the rivers but I wouldn't want to take it too far offshore. His on the other hand might be harder to get out but safer in rough water. Would a place with a deep channel to run like St Marks be better for us to start fishing to learn our way around or does somebody have another suggestion. We live in N Ga and are not likely to endanger the fish population the couple of times we could come down there in a season!

Maybe we could swap out a north Georgia stripper trip for a flats trip?

Thanks
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

St Marks Fort or Shield's Marina are both easy to navigate and convenient. They get a little crowded in the summertime. Both of those boats will work; especially if you just want to fish some flats. Econfina and Aucilla aren't as much for the faint of heart (rocks). West of the St Marks lighthouse is probably easier to navigate. You still have to watch for oyster bars.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

I don't know half of what these other guys know .. heck, I don't know an eighth of what they know.

But I've never been skunked going out of Keaton Beach and I've never gone out of there in a boat smaller than 18 feet.

It kind of depends on how far you are - and how much drive time (or fuel) you want to burn to wet a line. I'd go in the Econfina or the Aucilla in the smaller boat .. but get advice! It appears to me that there are rocks IN the Econfina and about 2 inches of water at the mouth .. wheras the Aucilla seems pretty clear down to the gulf where rocks start jumping at ya. Again - I know an eighth or less .. have not been to either in all the various tide configurations.

I don't know the places Eerman speaks of, but I'm sure he's right on.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I like strippers as much as the next guy. :smt004

It would be far more likley to get my wife to agree for me to go striper fishing though. :lol:

I will gladly take you guys fishing and have room in my boat to do it.

Keaton is a great choice for both boats so is Steinhatchee there you can go in or offshore. :thumbup:
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

If you watch the tides, Ecofina can easily be Navigated with either boat. If you like you can pm me and Ill be more than glad to share a few numbers both North and South of Ecofina. I fish out of Ecofina every week in a 22' Triton. Ive been fishing there since I was eighteen or so and Im now 34. Whatever you do , be safe and always file a boating plan with someone before you go. Best of luck!![img][img]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196 ... G_0259.jpg[/img][/img]
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

:D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR