Auto A/C recommendation needed

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Auto A/C recommendation needed

Post by salty_dog »

My vehicle's A/C is losing it's ummph. I had a repair shop recharge it and put in a dye. Before I go back to the repair shop I was wondering if someone had a great straight shootin A/C shop that they recommend.

Thanks a bunch.
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Beaver's auto repair
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Auto A/C recommendation needed

Post by Jumptrout51 »

salty_dog wrote:My vehicle's A/C is losing it's ummph. I had a repair shop recharge it and put in a dye. Before I go back to the repair shop I was wondering if someone had a great straight shootin A/C shop that they recommend.

Thanks a bunch.
Look under the hood around all your ac fittings. You should see evidence of the dye somewhere. It is usually just a loose fitting that you can tighten yourself. Be sure to remove your access caps and check there also.(Where the gauges hook up).
Some dyes require use of a blacklight,you can get one cheap at Walmart.
If you don't see the leak under the hood it is ptobably in one of your 2 coils. More expensive to repair. A small leak can sometimes be repaired with AC stop leak.(although not recommended).
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Ty one on

Re: Auto A/C recommendation needed

Post by Ty one on »

Jumptrout51 wrote:A small leak can sometimes be repaired with AC stop leak.(although not recommended).

Translation; If you plan to keep the car don't use stop leak.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

My Father in Law works on Cars out of a garage behind his house. He had his own Garage in Canada and has worked at many of the dealers here in town. I usually don't like to send people his way cause I know it looks biased. I can promise you honesty though.

PM me if you want his contact info.
salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We put the black light to the the system and found small amounts of the dye coming from the front of the compressor. There are also signs of the dye on the inside top of the hood. There is also a fair about of A/C oil on the inside of the hood as well. No other parts of the system showed any dye, which is good. A compressor (new) for the ole girl is $285.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

When you say on top of the compressor,do you mean where two ac lines connect to the comp.? If so you have a loose connection or bad seals.These seals are notorious for developing leaks.Try tigthening first if that does not stop it replace the seals only. If it is coming from behind the clutch you need a new compressor.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

It's coming out the front of the compressor right behind the clutch mechanism. Because it spins it is slinging dye and oil onto the inside of the hood.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

roll down the windows... it ain't gonna rain ever again
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

salty_dog wrote:It's coming out the front of the compressor right behind the clutch mechanism. Because it spins it is slinging dye and oil onto the inside of the hood.
Replace the compressor. :(
WHOSE FISH IS IT?