Econfina 05-26-2007

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Econfina 05-26-2007

Post by Tom Keels »

Left the crazy ramp at Econfina with Frank, Greg and Frank's son Ben at 8:00 am. We got a late start trying to let the wind lay down as forecasted. The plan was to both fish and dive.

After we left the river we picked up 5 dozen pinfish out of the trap and headed to our first number. The wind was whipping out of the NE and our first number was almost due south. While Greg was driving I noticed we were a little off course because it was just easier running that way. When we ended up we were 1 mile west of our intended spot, so we decide to put out the trolling baits and troll.

As we get closer to the number we start to notice good bottom. About a quarter mile out we get our first hit. As I am reeling the fish comes to the surface. Not a huge gag, but a keeper. Frank is reeling his bait in and gets one on as well. As my fish get closer we notice there are 5-6 more gags trying to take the bait away. When I get my fish in the boat I punched 'mark' on the GPS.

We continued trolling back and forth over this spot and ended up catching 10 gags in about an hour.

The trolling bite has stopped but we continue to mark good fish. We set up a drift with pinfish and Frank pulls up this beauty.

Then I get hung up in the ledge and tell Greg to back the boat up. As he is doing that something hits me like a freight train and unhooks me from the ledge. I bring up a nice 10 pound gag.

A couple of more drifts produce nothing. We decide to let the spot rest and come back later. Off to another spot.

At this point the seas are laying down and we can run much faster. We get to the next spot and troll up to it. We catch another gag and this guy. This photo looks staged but I can assure you, this fish was caught in the mouth.

A couple more passes trolling and bottom fishing produce nothing but a nurse shark, so we decide to get wet.

Lots of fish all over. Big gags everywhere but they are skiddish. 2 huge nurse sharks are blocking their entrance to the ledge so they have nowhere to go except the sand. I end up with a couple nice ones at 15 and 20 pounds and a decent trigger.

Frank also got a couple and some triggers.

Frank hit another spot on the way back to the morning honey hole and got a few.

Back at the honey hole I went in with only 500 psi. At 21 feet deep I figured I be ok if I ran out of air. :-D

I descended and watched the bottom start to move. Gags everywhere. Due to my poor shooting and having buck fever I only managed one fish. Frank got 2 and another trigger. This was another nice ledge and was full of fish. But since the tide had kicked in, the vis was only 10 feet or so.

We wanted to round out our limit but decided 18 grouper was plenty.

Back at the dock at 5 and fish cleaned by 6:30.

Water temps offshore were 78°. Seas 2-3 early down to almost flat late. Dove from 21-35 feet with most fish coming in 21 feet.

For those hitting Econfina next weekend. They have put in some very nice markers marking rocks and marking the channel going out so it is very easy to navigate.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bman

Post by bman »

Sweet trip Tom- Its great to find new #s :thumbup: :thumbup:
Love that the trigger tried to eat that big plug.
I don't dive but every time I read one of your posts I consider registering for a class.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Heck of a haul :thumbup: :thumbup:
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Nice trip Tom.......I hope to be doing that next week if work allows :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

Dang Tom, thats nice right there... :thumbup:
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

That's the way to break up the innactivity of the offshore posts WTG on a very nice haul :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

I very much enjoyed reading the post...that's an excellent trip :thumbup: nice to hear the grouper are still in close, thanks..... :thumbup:
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

As usual, Y'all done good. :thumbup: :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Dang nice haul. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Great trip. I met King Pinfish yesterday but I didntget his name. Saw him at the ramp and I guess he recognized the boat. Helk of an offshore trip. Im waiting for the invite next time!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

Hey BB. I'm Greg (PinFishKing). I'm the one that recognized you. we had a pretty good weekend. Next time we need somebody, we will keep you in mind.
You just can't fix stupid.
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Very nice fish and thanks for the info. :beer: :thumbup:

I thought all the grouper had moved out to deeper water. Guess I'll have to try my nearshore spots at least a couple more times.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

PinFishKing wrote:Hey BB. I'm Greg (PinFishKing). I'm the one that recognized you. we had a pretty good weekend. Next time we need somebody, we will keep you in mind.
Sorry about getting the name wrong , Greg. From the looks of things , I'd be in REEL good company. Trucks full of diesel ready to go! Just give me a holler when ya'll get ready. How far out did ya'll go? Not trying to get your numbers , I just dont know how far im willing to go on my boat. Might need you to come and commodere the thing for a day to show me around!! :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

What are great trip Tom. You are making me want to dust off the ol regulator and put new rubber on my spear gun!