ecofina

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

basstired
Site Sponsor

ecofina

Post by basstired »

Where is the best place to put in kayak, in ecofina area. I live on east side of town, going south on 27, do you take 14 at Lamont? Where to from there.
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: ecofina

Post by MudDucker »

basstired wrote:Where is the best place to put in kayak, in ecofina area. I live on east side of town, going south on 27, do you take 14 at Lamont? Where to from there.

14 dead ends into the State Park at Econfina. There is a nice ramp there.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

The ramp is about 1.5 miles to the bay. It is a loooong paddle if you are going aginst the tide either way. You will be too tired by the time you get there to fish. Spring Warrior is a better option for kayak fishing.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

I agree with seachaser - the paddle all the way to the mouth at the Achin' Fanny - if against wind or tide - would be tough. The Aucilla ramp is very near to toe Econ ramp and closer to the Gulf itself - whether going straight out or taking the 'west pass'. I have not found the secret to excellent fishing at Aucilla but the more I fish it, the more I like it.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Plus there is some gators in the Icky river that will swallow you and your kayak. Anyone of yall ever had a confrontation with a gator in a yak?
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Go to Hickory Mounds and you have a shorter paddle out to the gulf, like 500 yards.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

Go to Hickory Mounds and you have a shorter paddle out to the gulf
Hey Suber - be a sweetie and tell those of us who can't get there from here how to 'turn by turn' to HM. Am I right that if you are going E on 98 toward Perry, you go past the Aucilla and Econfina entrances and turn right a few miles further dow? Is it well marked.
Anyone of yall ever had a confrontation with a gator in a yak?
I've never had one bump me, but there was a gator in the Aucilla a few weeks back that stared me down and nearly made me wish for extra drawers to drive home in. 9 times out of 10 they seem to duck under and go away. This was the 10th .. he went under the yak and came up on the other side and just stared at me. He was the strong, silent type. i asked him, "What the %&*# do you want?" and he wouldn't reply. Just laid there givin' me the evil one eyed stare.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Soccerdad wrote:Hey Suber - be a sweetie
:smt005 :smt005

Hickory Mound is probably your best bet, Spring Warrior or Fenholloway would be good too.

There is a white house on the east side of Econfina that you can see from the flats, if you can get to that house, it would put you a 1,000 yards or so from the gulf.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

You can get there the way you said Soccerdad but that way is very bumpy, but it is the shortest way. I turn down the road going to econfina and turn left right pass the campground. I follow that road all the way back to the gulf and put in at the ramp next to the blue porta potty.

basstired
Site Sponsor

directions to Hickory Mounds

Post by basstired »

:thumbup: thanks for the map Suber, is there any water at low tide?
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Yes. At real low tide you can't get into the gulf til it comes back in, like 3 ft below normal low.