HHA HANDS HELPING ANGLERS**RESCHEDULED**

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: Let me add some 411 to the scale!

I did this HHA via the Rotary Club many years ago and had the grandest old fella as a fisherman anyone could ask for - this old gentleman (whose name I sadly forget :oops: ) was a hoot to take fishing. He was both blind and confined to a wheelchair. Back then, I was operating out of a 16 foot Skeeter Bass boat, but it was good enough for three of us (one of my boys as 1st Mate, the old HHA angler, & me). :lol:

We fished Lake Jackson on the first & second year's trips, where upon he caught a 10# bass on shiners both times, which propelled us into 1st place in the tournaments! :D The 3rd, and final year, we fished salt water out of Shield's Marina, where the old fella managed to catch a huge trout, placing us in the winner's circle again. :D Sadly, the old gentleman died after that and it broke my heart! :smt010 I quit fishing those tournaments because of the hurt feelings - which I should not have done! :smt009

What I'm saying here to those of you that are hesitant about making a commitment is to come on out and get involved. Do it for the physically challenged anglers and yourself! It has taken me a lot of years to get over the emotions of loosing that fine old guy. But, I'm back, at long last, ready for another assignment, and will probably get emotionally involved with this one, too! :smt007
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the info Capt. :thumbup: I'm sure you helped someone who was not as fortunate as most of us to experience some good times that we tend to take for granted. :oops: The only thing I would add is that for this year, as the past 4 or 5 years that I've been involved, there is no tournament as part of the event. No registration fee, etc. It's all about doing everything you can to give the anglers the best time you can. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
John McBride

Post by John McBride »

ATTENTION BIG HEARTED FISHERMEN

Hands Helping Angler # 17 IS A GO!

DATE: Saturday, June 30, 2007

PLACE: We encourage you to leave out of St. Marks area (Shields, Shell Island Fish Camp, Lighthouse, etc.)

COST: No registration fee, just bring your boat and tackle ready to fish

WHAT YOU GET: Food and Drinks for your boat (pick up at Jerry's), a plaque and a bunch of satisfaction in helping others less fortunate than we are

I am coming out of retirement to help make sure HHA happens this year and we all have a bunch of fun taking some folks fishing.

Somewhere, somebody is sitting around dreaming of this once-per-year event to do some fishing. Let's not let them down.

Sir Reel will be rounding up as many boats as possible and I will line up the handicapped anglers, food, logistics, etc. Please email or PM SR for the sign up form and he will instruct you in how to return it to him..

This year, Scott Paterna is letting us distribute sandwiches and drinks from Jerry's Bait and Tackle as you are heading to the St. Mark's area. I will be there at 6:30 am on the morning of the event ready to feed and water the troops.

Watch this thread for more updates.

John McBride
Cell 570-3467
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Thank you John for taking the reins and getting this horse back on the track.
Thank you Sir Reel for all your co-ordination efforts for NFGFC and BBF.Net.
Remember,NFGFC and BBF.net fisherfolks can participate.
The HHA needs your help.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Let me encourage you.

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Over the past four years I have taken out folks less fortunate, maybe six or eight times. Memories? Let me tell you, youre gonna leave with memories, good ones.

I took out two Viet Nam buddies, one had one leg and the other had no legs. One used a crutch and the other had two artificial legs. He sat down to fish because he took off one leg to put his can of beer in it since there was no table near by. We laughed all day.

Then there was Bobby and a guy Ill call Joe, ( I forgot his name). Joe was about six two and about 280 lbs, and blind. Bobby was in a wheel chair, wore a football helmet, but was sharp as a tack. Bobby learned to cast in about five minutes and procedded to catch trout. Joe stood at the front of the boat and did likewise. He had fished before and cast real well.

When we came in Bobby asked about taking home some fish, and we had pleanty which I cleaned and bagged., But before I did that I told Bobby that Joe was going to clean the fish and he had to hold them. Well Bobby and Joe and I laughed till we cried.

I have taken old men refered by the senior citizens society, and several others from other groups. Several other blind people.

I highly recomend doing this get a reality check and put things into prospective as to how lucky we are.

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

OK FOLKS...

The Classic and the NFGFC Tournaments are behind us ...so now lets concentrate on the Hands Helping Anglers Event. I just sent off 4 of the Captain info sheets to John McBride this morning but we will need considerably more support in the form of boats for the folks who want to go fishing. Let me know if you would like to participate in this great event. You will enjoy it more than you could ever imagine. These are some great folks :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Hands Helping Anglers needs your support :D We need some folks to step up with a ride! :smt006

Current Supporters

HHA Captain List Updated 06/18

Mr. and Mrs Sir Reel
Capt Reggie
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Steve Stinson
Rodbow (probability 7 on scale of 1-10 )
Mike and Elena Scibelli
John McBride

Thanks Guys (and Gal)

Post by John McBride »

Thanks for stepping up another year in a row and showing these folks a great time. Most of you reported keeper fish and many clients going home with fresh filets cause you guys were kind enough to clean them too. You cannot imagine how much that means to them.

May the Good Lord bless you for it! He may already have if you enjoy taking these folks fishing as much as I have.

I especially appreciate all of your patience with me. I will run this next year with it being the 20th anniversary of the event. Expect it to be a better planned event with some other organizations helping out. Stay tuned...

If you have any photos from today, please email me them at johnjennifer.mcbride@gmail.com so I can attempt to get them in the newspaper.

Thanks again,

John McBride
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

HHA 2007

Post by Steve Stinson »

John -

Thank you for stepping in and making sure this event happened this year. Here's a link to my report in the "Inshore" section of his forum. I will email you the pictures I have as well.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... hp?t=14648

- Steve Stinson
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I did get some pictures but not as much of the fishing as I would have liked. Was too dog gone busy retying bottom rigs! :o Had to help one of my guests pull up 3 big rays... man those things are hard to move! I'll send the pictures as soon as I get em developed... still using film :roll: Should have them later today. One of my trailer tires found something on the up stream side of the ramp at the fort. Didn't make it home before it went flat. Big slice on the inside side wall :evil: Don't know if there's still some debris down there from repairs after Dennis or not but there's definitely something sharp down there.

AND NOW.... WITH OUT FURTHER ADIEU.... CONGRATULATIONS TO RODBOW :thumbup: :-D WHOSE NAME WAS DRAWN AS THE WINNER OF THE LAPTOP DONATED BY BLAN AND JOHN MCBRIDE. THE DRAWING WAS DONE BY OUR OWN SCOTT PATERNA AT JERRY'S BAIT AND TACKLE WITH SEVERAL WITNESS PRESENT. ALL THE PARTICIPATING CAPTAINS FROM THIS FORUM WERE IN THE POT FOR THE DRAWING.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Here are a few pictures to add to what's already been posted.

Over heard..... "let's see now.... the rabbit is supposed to come back up through the hole.... or is it the other way around..."

Getting ready to head out.. ..... Billie's first trout of the day .......... Unhappy visitor!
ImageImageImage

Dennis is hanging on .... but then..... the fish decides to head to the other side of the boat
Image Image