I'm thinking about getting a kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mojokoko

I'm thinking about getting a kayak

Post by mojokoko »

I was wondering what a good kayak would be just for every now and then fisherin saltwater. Sometimes I can't take the boat out and would perfer to fish on a yak rather than fishing from shore. I dont need a 1200 kayak or anything just something that I could feel comfortable in with maybe a few rod holders. I Just would like to either go around wakulla beach or around the St Marks Light house for maybe 5 to 6 hours. I am 6'2 212
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Go to FCKA.net there is ample information that once read will enable you to make a choice on your own.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Around these parts you can find Ocean Kayak, Perception, Heritage, Cobra, Wilderness Systems, Hobie, and many more. Your best bet is to got to TnT Hideaway, or Wilderness Way and rent different ones and decide which one you are most comfortable in. Me personally I would tell someone your size to get at least a 14 foot boat and I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i which is a very fast sit on top that cuts through waves and winds better than most. I also have the Perception Search 15 which is a foot longer tarpon 140. It has a nice bulbous front end made for plowing through waves and is also fast. You can take a look at the Ocean Kayak Prowler Series which is 13 and 15 and the New trident 15.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Go see Rob at TnT and look at the Heritage 12' Redfisher. Its easy to get in the back of a pickup and it is very stable. I own one and it is a affordable Kayak that I have fished in all conditions in and it has performed very well.