Cat fish fins in salt water

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

What a mess

Cat fish fins in salt water

Post by What a mess »

Do cat fish fins contain toxins?

A man was finned yesterday. A short while later he started to feel bad.

At first overheated or sea sick. Then light headed swelling in hands and feet along with tingling.

He has had bypass surgery before so we took him in to be checked out.

They saw no clear symptoms of heart attack and released him.

He said in the past couple of years that when mosquito's have bit him he has had major reactions.

We wonder could it be a result of his heart condition or the meds he takes for it?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
bballchrism

Post by bballchrism »

i am not a hundred percent sure on this but omeone told me it was bacteria on the fins and pour some hot water on it and you should be fine
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

This may be a little off topic but, if you ever get finned by one take a knife and scrape some of the the slime off the side of the fish and rub it in where you got finned, the slime is their natural anti-venom towards other catfish.
2003 G3 1860DLX
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Pee on it or have your buddy Pee on it or any ony around you. Jt51 told me when him and Chalk fish together and one of them get stuck they do it all the time and it works :o
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

And y'all wonder why I like fishin by myself :o :oops: :smt005 :beer: Water, as hot as you can stand it will take care of it :thumbup: I use the water from the pee-hole on the motor :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

we had some salve in the 1st aid kit that stopped the pain my question is do they contain toxins???????

Could he have been going into shock as a reaction?
Last edited by What a mess on June 29th, 2007, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

A few years ago, I was out metal detecting on Perdido Key and I stepped on one that some bozo had thrown up on the beach :smt013 while surfishing. It was partially covered up in the sand and I just missed it :hammer:. It easily went through my tennis shoe sole and about a half inch into the arch of my foot - big Ouch !

It didn't break off, but I went to the doc anyway. He said that there are no toxins on saltwater catfish barbs, just lots of not so friendly bacteria. Gave me some antibiotics and it cleared up ok, but hurt like the dickens to walk on it for a while.
[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

What a mess wrote:we had some slave in the 1st aid kit that stopped the pain
I thought slavery was illegal? And why do you keep your slaves in the first-aid kit? :lol:
Boom goes the dynamite.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The Gafftopsail Catfish has greatly elongated filaments protruding from the pectoral and first dorsal fins. It also has a single pair of chin whiskers and a pair at the corners of its mouth. It may be up to 42 inches long and weigh as much as 15 lbs., but averages 16 inches and 2 lbs. A heavy, slimy mucous coating protects it from infection and the venom of other catfish.

Habitat
The Gafftopsail and Sea Catfish especially like soft bottoms of mud or sand and are sometimes found in the surf. They prefer to feed at night and are frequently caught by anglers along bridges, piers and catwalks. Sea Catfish may gather in large numbers; they move to shallow, open water in winter, returning inshore to spawn in spring. In summer, they inhabit bays, estuaries, and rivers. Sea Catfish range from Massachusetts to Mexico, while Gafftopsail, absent from most of the West Indies, extend to Cuba and Venezuela.
Risk to Humans
They do not attack humans, but the defensive spines of Sea Catfish are poisonous and bacteria-ridden. Pain from an accidental encounter is intense. Inflammation around the wound may result, as well as numbness, lasting several hours. Always use gloves when handling Sea Catfish; a spine that breaks off in your skin should be removed immediately.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

What Weavens said! Last weekend I encountered my first Gafftop and got punctured in the hand and on my shin. I experienced a small amount of discomfort but gave it little thought.The discomfort lasted a few hours so when I got home went to the internet and found the same information Weavns found. What I didn't find was just how toxic is the fish. Numerous sites stated the Gafftop has serrated spines that contain toxin but nothing as to what type of toxin and how dangerous it could be to humans.

My discomfort subsided after a few hours of getting home and showed a little redness for a day after.

I will not bring one on board again though!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

caseycook wrote:
What a mess wrote:we had some slave in the 1st aid kit that stopped the pain
I thought slavery was illegal? And why do you keep your slaves in the first-aid kit? :lol:
The stuff was an atibiotic cream that was supposed to remove the poisen and stop the pain,

I think spell check got me it was supposed to be salve.

Wasn't your given name yackazzzzz?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Here's a link to a pretty good article from the GAFF magazine on the subject of using CBJ to netrualize the pain associated with being stuck.

GAFF ARTICLE
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

It is a protein poison and hot as you can stand water OR meat tenderizer will neutralize it.Jack Daniels works well for pain relief, :lick:
FUTCHCAIRO

CATFISH

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE ALWAYS USED A RAG STUCK IN THE GAS TANK AND WASH OFF , THIS HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME. I VERY SELDOM GET STUCK, I DO NOT BRING THEM ON MY BOAT, UNHOOK WITH PLYERS AWAY FROM THE BOAT.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

keep it up WAM :lol:
The stuff was an atibiotic cream that was supposed to remove the poisen and stop the pain,

I think spell check got me it was supposed to be salve.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck