6-30 through 7-4 dog island report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

coastal cracker
Site Sponsor

6-30 through 7-4 dog island report

Post by coastal cracker »

Spent the weekend at Dog island with the in-laws. we fished the surf most of the time catching sheepsheads, reds, trout, blues, cats, and several hundred lady fish. My brother in law and I fished a rock pile Monday and caught several rock bass(sea bass) and spanish. It got hot so we made a run into Carabelle. On our way back to the island, we stopped by the rock pile again to watch several dozen large sharks exploding on bait schools. then the tarpon showed up. With nothing but inshore gear(10-15#main line and added some 40# leader) we got schooled by the sharks and I finally got my first tarpon hook up. had it on for 15 to 20 minutes and the line broke. also exploded (3 pieces)a quantum inshore rod on one of the sharks. It was like the discovery channel with these sharks coming out of the water and flipping/chasing the bait.

Great vacation in ya'lls neck of the woods. Now I am back at work for some rest.

if you have not tried it yet, go see Ben @ pirates landing resturant for some great food. we ate there yesturday before getting on the road back to Jax and it was awesome.
bman

Post by bman »

Sounds like a lot of fun- Big fish on little rods!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Great report I would have loved to see the shark attack. :o

I also would have loved the tarpon ride. :smt007

I hate you broke the rod but love the way you did it. :oops:

Nothing like having the adrenaline pumped like that. :thumbup:

I will head out in the A.M. for a little saline therapy myself. :-D
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Wow. Nice report.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

That must've been a sight, sounds like you enjoyed our neck, glad ta have ya, c'mon back after ya get rested :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.