sea foam/carb cleaner

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

e-lineman

sea foam/carb cleaner

Post by e-lineman »

Man I just used a bottle of sea foam and one bottle of carb cleaner on my 88 special and man did she come to life, idles and runs much better. Cheap tune up on an older engine. :-D
FUTCHCAIRO

CARB CLEANER

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF YOU WILL GIVE IT A SHOT IN THE CARB ABOUT EVERY 3RD. TANK FULL WILL SAVE YA A LOT OF HEADACHES AND MONEY.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
e-lineman

Post by e-lineman »

a shot of seafoam or carb cleaner?
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I love the Seafoam. I use it in everything. I had a big boat once with twin 454s. The starboard engine got some stuck valves and drank some gulf water up the exaust once. After fixing the valves and one oil change with seafoam you couldn't see any more milky oil. We changed it again just to be sure, but that stuff works!
whendrix

Post by whendrix »

What is the best way to use the seafoam just spray it in the carb or mix a small mixture to run thru a seperate tank?

Have had people say mix a small amount of gas with seafoam in it and hook to motor and let run out seems to me that would clean all the internal parts however to get the best results seems that spraying it in the carb would work the best , also if you spray in carb. does it need to be running at a higher idle or let it run till it gets hot then spray i seafoan/deepcreep let sit then restart engine.
Live and Learn!!!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

If you want to de-carbonize a 4 stroke, make sure the engine is at normal operating temp first and then spray/pour the SeaFoam in. Let the engine choke down on a big gulp and let sit for a few minutes. Start it back up and watch the carbon burn out.

I like to pour it straight down the carb / throttle body, but you can let the engine suck it in thru a vaccum line. Deep Creep is SeaFoam in a spray can so that works good if you can't pour it in easily, but it costs more.

Edited, chugbug is right about the 2-stroke. my experience is all with 4-strokes
Last edited by ropeman on July 23rd, 2007, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I thought Sea Foam was a gas additive. I add it to my mud motor tank in the cold of winter because it stops line freezing.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

You can add SeaFoam to gas or oil (or diesel I think). I wouldn't try to clean the crankcase too much on an old 4 stroke, but if you get water in the oil it will clean it out!
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I wouldn't spray any cleaners in the carb directly of any 2 strokes. You will lean the mixture out. Best way to do it is first time mix a gallon of gas with the shock treatment and oil, run for 10-15 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes and restart. Run at high idle, not too high if it's on the hose. Reconnect normal gas line. I add 1 oz per gallon of gas. Keeps it running good and you won't have to shock it any more.
whendrix

Post by whendrix »

Last time I did it I have an extra gas line built for my motor, put a gallon of gas in small red can with seafoam added let it run about 20 minutes on idle then shut down then restarted and run at higher idle as chugbug indicated then poured rest in lawn mower tank. I use it all year in mower and weedeater gas cans due to the fact that somtimes they sit in the rain that is with them on a trailer year round.
Live and Learn!!!