Gag Grouper To Be SEVERELY Reduced In The Gulf Of Mexico

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Gag Grouper To Be SEVERELY Reduced In The Gulf Of Mexico

Post by Tom Keels »

Can you hear the nails being hammered in the Gulf of Mexico fishing coffin? I just heard that they are proposing a one fish gag grouper daily bag with a five fish aggregate. Closed season will run from from February 15 through May 15 with a distinct possibility that the Middle Grounds will be closed year round.

If you would like to let the Gulf of Fisheries Management Council know how you feel please call their office at 813-348-1630. You can ask for executive director Wayne Swingle at x230 wayne.swingle@gulfcouncil.org, or their statistician Steve Atran that concocted the majority of this abomination at x227 steve.atran@gulfcouncil.org

While you're at it give our old buddy SE Regional administrator of the NMFS Roy Crabtree a jingle at 727-824-5301 roy.crabtree@noaa.gov
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Wasn't Fla's new Gov. supposed to be a friend of the recreational fisherman? I know many of the regs are out of the state guys hands, but they do have some say so. No?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Wonder if they would listen to an out of stater??
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Barhopr wrote:Wasn't Fla's new Gov. supposed to be a friend of the recreational fisherman? I know many of the regs are out of the state guys hands, but they do have some say so. No?
This would be a federal change. The state can tell them to shove it, but they only have jurisdiction to nine miles out. I have written Gov. Crist, we'll see if anything comes of it.
BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Wonder if they would listen to an out of stater??
Absolutely. Like I said, this is not a Florida thing, although we would be affected most. All gulf states would have to abide by the ruling.

Remember, recreational fishing accounts for about 5 BILLION dollars a year for the state. This is second only to Citrus. Do you think they would consider cutting your orange juice intake?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bman

Post by bman »

I'm not a big offshore guy- just go when I get an invite.
But limiting one gag and one red seems crazy.
On my last trip, it was so frustrating to throw back Red after Red- no way to selectively fish for them. Not like a duck where you can identify them before pulling the trigger.
I know its not all about the harvest- the trip and being out on the water are great. But I don't want to just ride in the boat.
When you count the $$ it costs to go you might just quit.

Remember when the duck limit went to 3 per person- a lot of friends just quit duck hunting.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

and how does this affect the commercials?
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

bman wrote:I'm not a big offshore guy- just go when I get an invite.
But limiting one gag and one red seems crazy.
On my last trip, it was so frustrating to throw back Red after Red- no way to selectively fish for them. Not like a duck where you can identify them before pulling the trigger.
I know its not all about the harvest- the trip and being out on the water are great. But I don't want to just ride in the boat.
When you count the $$ it costs to go you might just quit.

Remember when the duck limit went to 3 per person- a lot of friends just quit duck hunting.
:smt013 I'm still burning over that federal duck stupidity (because I'm one of the ones that sold their decoys and got out of waterfowling for 10 years)!!!
:smt011 I agree, we all need to get on board with this issue! Ya'all don't wait on Tom or someone else to do it...get on line or the phone, and call or write those politicians we elected and make them earn their $! The "Fish Commission" are APPOINTED, not ELECTED! It's bad enough for the flats fishermen to deal with only ONE redfish while other coastal states around us have a better selective harvest numbers. Now we have to endure only ONE red grouper, etc. What is next? :smt009

NOW I'M ON MY SOAPBOX: We fishermen must support one another just like the hunters have to stand united or separated we all fall down and loose! For instance, I'm a "still-hunter" who likes to use primitive weapons to take my "big game". Years ago I learned that if I didn't support the "dog hunters", we all would loose our hunting rights and public land. Here, we flats fishermen MUST support our offshore brothers because "UNITED WE STAND..." = get it! :thumbup: Now I'm going back to hide under the soapbox again! :smt004
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

Capt Reggie wrote:Here, we flats fishermen MUST support our offshore brothers because "UNITED WE STAND..." = get it! :thumbup: Now I'm going back to hide under the soapbox again! :smt004
and on some days, us flats fisherman can run offshore, just ask Wevans. :-D
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Reel Country wrote:and how does this affect the commercials?
Thats my biggest question as well.
finniefish

Post by finniefish »

Does anyone know where we can see the statistics that help them make such an insane decision?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Good thing we voted to cancel the CCA tourney. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

finniefish wrote:Does anyone know where we can see the statistics that help them make such an insane decision?
It's not light reading
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Atticus wrote:Good thing we voted to cancel the CCA tourney. :thumbup:
CCA has done nothing on the issue so far. I contacted Wet Jet to find out if there will be a grass roots alert issued.

The FRA has done more on this issue than CCA.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bman

Post by bman »

FRA??
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Tom Keels
Site Founder