Nearly Attacked - No Bull!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Nearly Attacked - No Bull!

Post by Capt Reggie »

:roll: I need to post this close encounter with the SHARK kind from Saturday afternoon!

My friend, Gene, and his brother, Lamar, were out scalloping outside of the Aucilla River area in about 4-feet of water. The water was very clear and they were by themselves in a 16-foot runabout picking up a limit of scallops when it happened. Gene said he had a "funny feeling" and turned around just in time to stare face to face with an oncoming approximately 9-foot Bull Shark! Gene related that he stood his ground, scallop bag and nothing more in hand, and the shark immediately turned away from him about 10-feet away. Obviously, my friend explained how he got back in the boat (I asked if he had "walked on water" - he explained it was more like a launched torpedo) and, then, he frantically looked around for his brother. Gene saw Lamar about 100-feet from the boat, diving for scallops, but unaware of a shark around him. Gene advised that he quickly pulled anchor and motored over to Lamar to get him out of the water. When they were both in the boat, Gene said he smoked half a pack of cigarettes, drank up the rest of their beer, and "cleaned his bathing trucks out"! They never saw the pesky shark again. :smt009

Hmmmmm...that does make me think to tell ya'all to keep a sharp eye out for them "gentlemen in the grey suits", eh! And, post a watch on board the vessel i.e. someone gets to stay in the boat and be constantly aware of the swimmer's surroundings. Since I believe in big bullets going fast, better take the hand-cannon along, too. Now I know we ain't talking about "jaws junior" here, but we all know "they" are out there and that "they" are unpredictable, right! So, children, BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! Don't be afraid, be alert! :thumbup:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If that is the definition of "nearly attacked" then I have been "nearly attacked" several times. Your friend should count himself lucky to have seen such a cool animal that close.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I'd say that was scoped out ! The water being clear was a good thing, he saw your friend way out and was just passing by checking things out .Try swimming around with some fish on a stringer , that would be closer to attacked, but I totally understand your concern. But you never know, the shark may have the same story, I was just crusing along in 4 ft and came upon this creature who tried to put me in a mesh bag ! :-D
Troutinator

children

Post by Troutinator »

and to keep a close eye on the kids in the water too. truly I think it is a good idea to have a lookout on the boat at all times.

You just never know how long it was from their last meal.................
He who loses control, Loses!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Whether the shark was a real threat, or not, that would have scared the life out of me. :o

I am 5ft-8inches tall and have a healthy respect for anything bigger than me and most things that are smaller to. :wink:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Bull sharks account for most of the bites in Florida waters. Nearly all bull shark bites had one of two things in common. Most common is that they occurred in stained or churned water and the 2nd most common is that the victim had some attractant on or near them, such as fish or fish bait.

A healthy respect is due!
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Re: children

Post by Capt Reggie »

Troutinator wrote:and to keep a close eye on the kids in the water too. truly I think it is a good idea to have a lookout on the boat at all times.

You just never know how long it was from their last meal.................
:thumbup: Ah, very good, sir, and that was my point for posting the story...not just some other tail of close encounters of the shark kind...but, to be careful and observant, always. Mother nature is a finckle one and you never know when one of the creatures (expecially those with big, sharp dentals) has "had a bad day", feeling a bit hungry, or a bunch of other things unknown at the time. As it has been said of warfare, "close counts in hand gernades, etc.". Gene related that as an experienced diver for 30 years, he has NEVER had that close of an encounter with a shark. I beleive him and salute him for being a brave heart, keeping his cool, facing the big shark down, and getting his brother out of harm's way! Yet, as I related to him..."it just wasn't your time", but why push it? 8)
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
bman

Post by bman »

If he bit you I'm sure he wouldn't have meant anything by it...
Sharks are people too :D
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

..."he explained it was more like a launched torpedo...Gene said he smoked half a pack of cigarettes, drank up the rest of their beer, and "cleaned his bathing trucks out"
:o :o :o

Glad to hear that old pesky guy in the grey suit wasn't hungry for "meat". Me a Troutinator hooked one in that exact location back in April and he was an easy 7'+. Chased him in the boat till he got tired of us and cut off the 40# leeder and split.

MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.